Part 24

I can't believe I've written this many parts so far! Sorry this is so overdue! Enjoy :D

~*~

Ariel POV

Eric held the car door open for me and ushered me inside. "Come on Ariel. I have something I want to show you," he insisted, shutting the door softly once I was seated. 

I was playing a game with my sisters when the door bell rang and there Eric was standing on my front porch! My father had suggested that Eric take me out for the evening, so we first went to dinner at a nice, sit down restaurant. I'm not sure what Eric has up his sleeve next, but I'm overjoyed about father accepting Eric. 

We drove for only a few minutes before we wound up on a dim country road. He pulled into a narrow drive surrounded by trees. At the end of the driveway was a small cottage. He looked over at me and smiled. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" I asked, jumping out of the car. 

Eric grabbed my hand and led me down the cool dirt path. In his other hand, he held a plastic bag. I was in the midst of trying to figure out what was in the bag when he stopped. 

"We're here."

I looked up from the bag and gasped. In front of us was an inground pool with lights woven through the wooden structure above. Flowers covered the patio while candles burned on a table nearby. Combined with the star-filled sky above, I found myself mesmerized. It was beautiful. 

"Eric-" I started, but he cut me off. 

"No. No complaining," he chuckled, wrapping his arm around me to pull me closer. 

I rested a hand on his chest. "Eric, I didn't bring a swimsuit," I stated flatly. 

He quirked an eyebrow slightly before a smirk broke his lips. He raised the bag in his hand. "I'm already one step ahead of you." He inclined his head towards the cottage nearby. "Go get dressed, my little mermaid." 

I smiled up at him before rushing off to get changed. My father and Eric collaborated on this? My father? No way! What had come over him so suddenly? 

The cottage was small but cozy. A  sofa occupied one wall with a cute quilt draped over the side. There was a small fireplace in the corner and a table on the other side with a vase full of blooming roses. I sighed contently. 

After I finished changing, I walked out to find that Eric was already dressed. As I approached him, he turned to embrace me. Brushing the hair out of my face and tucking it behind my ear, he laid a small kiss on my forehead. 

"You first, or me?" He asked. 

I shoved him slightly. "You!" 

To my surprise, he simply shrugged. "Okay," he complied. 

Turning to face the pool, he braced himself to jump in. His body was already moving when a force gripped my hand and pulled my forward. I lost my balance and fell into the pool after him. The water was cool against my skin as I tumbled to the bottom of the pool. I didn't linger there for long before a pair of arms circled around me and pulled me up. When I broke the surface, I gasped for air and pushed my hair out of my face. 

"Eric!" I shrieked after getting my breath. 

He laughed at my bewildered expression. "I'm sorry! I couldn't help it." 

I frowned before whipping around and swimming to the other side of the pool. My sudden departure took Eric by surprise. 

"Sometimes I forget you're such a good swimmer," he mused. I met his gaze across the water before diving back into the depths. He stood still which made it all too easy to grab his legs and yank them from under him. He yelped in surprise before joining me under water. I scrambled away quickly before he could get me back.