Part 16

Belle POV

The next day seemed to pass by painfully slow. I did a decent job at avoiding Adam, but I couldn't completely hide from him.

He met my gaze once briefly at lunch, but his eyes were so distant that I thought he was staring right through me as if I wasn't even there. Some small part of me felt stung but I quickly shoved it away.

If he wanted to make amends, he could have sought me out, but he didn't. I best stand back until he approaches me.

"I don't know. This is so unlike her! She's never avoided us for this long," Punzie was saying, twirling a strand of her hair absentmindedly.

"Or avoided us period," Ariel added, nodding her head a bit too much. She met my eyes and the edges of her lips tilted up slightly. It was a sad smile.

"Maybe one of us should reach out to her," I suggested.

The three of us were walking out of the school to the parking lot. The air was crisp with a slight wind, just enough to ruin my hair. Not that I put any effort into it in the first place. The trees surrounding the school had vibrant leaves of many shades and the sky was astonishingly clear. I loved autumn.

Ariel seemed to perk up slightly. "I could get a hold of her? She's always opened up to me pretty well. Maybe I can see what is really going on," she stated. Her red hair flew wildly around her face, seeming even more noticeable with the accents of the red leaves. She was so beautiful. Eric was truly a lucky man to have a girl like her. If only every relationship could be like theirs.

No. I'm not going to think about that right now.

"Sounds like a plan," Punzie agreed with a smile. "I'll see you guys tomorrow morning!"

She pulled each of us in for a hug before getting in her car and speeding off. Her mom was very strict, especially now that she's apparently still grounded. Oddly enough, she hasn't said what for.

I sighed at the thought. What is it about high school that makes all my friends distant?

"You okay?" Ariel asked, her eyes full of concern. She laid a hand gently on my shoulder for comfort.

I tried to nod my head convincingly. "Yes. There's just a lot on my mind. And I miss my dad a lot," I confessed, leaning into her touch.

Ariel seemed to sense my sorrow as she wrapped both arms around me in a warm embrace. "I know my dad isn't physically gone like yours, but he's gone in an emotional way. I've never felt so detached from him as I do now. I know what you're going through Belle, and I'm here in whatever way you need me." Ariel's words were smooth and exactly what I needed to hear.

I hugged her tightly as a single tear slid down my cheek. With the absence of my father, I feel more alone now than I have since my mother passed away. I have company, but I miss my father. He's the only one that's been there for me through everything. I wish he would come home. I don't know how much longer I can take living with Adam. 

Ariel pulled back just enough to look at me and I had never been so grateful to have such great friends. They always knew how to be there for me when I needed it the most. "Thank you, Ariel," I managed to choke out. My throat seemed to tighten from being so emotional. "You have no idea what it means to me. I'd like you to know that I reciprocate your feelings and would do the same for you."