XI. Confrontations

Start from the beginning

"I didn't know what was going on!"

"What do you even mean by that? You don't know when a person is going to kiss you?!"

"There was blinding light! And-"

"Shut up, Clara. People think you're sleeping with him." He grabbed the paper from behind me and waved it in my face.

"I don't care what other people think!"

"I think you're sleeping with him." He corrected then and I stared, gobsmacked.

"Why the hell would you think that?!" I asked. Someone get me out of this situation, please! I don't see this going anywhere but in circles. "Ezra, I don't get you or your brother. I don't get what's going on in between you guys."

"You prefer him?" He questioned and I stared, lost for words. "Is he the person you run to during every timeout?"

"Ezra, what the hell?" My mouth was open but no words came out. How the fuck do I explain? I took in a deep breath and framed my words carefully. "Look, when all of this is said and done and we are married and then divorced, I am going to enjoy my single life for a little while and then date someone who does not have Copper as their last name! I don't fancy either of you. Hell, you both drive me mad!" I was now lost for breath. "Did that get through your thick skull or do I need to exaggerate?" Painful minutes of silence passed and I waited for him to react while my heart raced a marathon. He was in my space, breathing my air, his eyes pining me down, daring me to move. I could see the cogs move in his head as he thought about it.

One more minute later, he took a step back and I resumed breathing again. "Don't ever do that to me again." I whispered and stood straighter.

"We are going to sort a few things once and for all." Ezra said and with that, he grabbed my hand and led me out the door.

He didn't answer my question. He didn't acknowledge my presence. Hell, he completely ignored me! I had to figure out what his plans were by making sense of where we were going. Halfway through the journey, I recognized the route.

"No, Ezra, what are you doing?" Obviously, he didn't reply so I pushed further. "I don't want to go there again. I don't want to go there any day! Ezra, please, just tell the driver to turn back around." In my desperation and his refusal to answer me, I grabbed his arm and shook him. "Please, don't do this."

"We are doing this." He stated and I whined.

"I'm not properly dressed. She is going to insult me again." I was only wearing a pair of jeans and a top. I was pretty sure Sally would find some way to mock me with it.

"Then stand up for yourself." He said and I raised an eyebrow.

"And your friendship?"

"I don't give a fuck about the friendship if it means she gets to treat you like that." I kept quiet because I knew my words of protest would fall on deaf ears. I was on edge the whole drive to the Carson house.

"Ezra, what a brilliant surprise!" Sally answered the door and greeted him with a warm, flirty smile while I got a frown instead.

"Can we come in?" He asked and she ushered us in.

"What can I do for you?" She asked when we were seated in the living room.

"Cut the bullshit. What did you put in Clara's food yesterday?"

"Excuse me?" She said in fake astonishment but when neither of us bought it, she showed her true colours. "You look fine, Clara. Sad, might I say." She continued, annoyed.

"Why would you do that? I don't get what you're holding against me since school. I avoid you but whenever we have to associate, you try your level best to make my life a living hell."