Bittersweet

"Loneliness
Can be very frightening
All that time
spent searching in the darkness
Full of hope
That you will find her someday
You can't help
But still feel lonely today." ~Will Justus

"Alex! Let me in! You can't hide from me forever!" I heard Karmin shout at me while banging loudly at my locked door. I rolled my eyes and continued to write. I heard murmuring outside my door coming from who I assumed to be Karmin, Eugene, and Elizabeth.

"Alexander..." Elizabeth calmly knocked on my door, stopping Karmin's rambunctious knocking, "Please let us in..."

"It's been a week Alex, stop being childish!" Yeah sure, Eugene is definitely the one to tell me about maturity level. I rolled my eyes attempting to ignore their outbursts.

"I'll kick your fucking door down if you don't let me in right now!" I could just mentally feel Karmin raising her foot about to kick the door.

"No! Don't kick the door!" Elizabeth yelled at Karmin.

"Peasants..." Eugene was probably shaking his head in disgust.

"But he needs me! I'll kick his door down if I feel like he might stop loving me!" I'm not dating you... nor do I love you...

"Miss Blackwood, calm down. This is Alex we're talking about. He doesn't know a thing about the word 'love.'" After Elizabeth stated that fact, everything got silent. They probably gave up and left.

I sighed and placed down my pencil. I leaned back in my chair for a brief second before placing the chair on all fours and standing up. I walked around my room, surveying the place I've stayed in my whole life. The walls were still painted the same red color that it was when I first decided for the color at the age of four. I haven't changed much from when I was young. I think I was six when my personality became relevantly 'cold' or 'careless.' Who is to blame for my sudden reclusive or antisocial behavior is still a debate upon my family when the answer is quite obvious.

On my desk laid a picture frame with a picture of a younger Mckayla, Travers, Nate..., and myself. We were probably around the ages of eight in this picture. The picture was taken by Nate. The picture was of me reading and Mckayla hugging me and smiling at the camera while Travers wrapped his arm around me. Nate poked his head out so that he could still be seen in the shot and took it the second I looked up.

~

It was a sunny date in mid summer. I was sitting in an open field in front of the castle, I was rarely allowed to leave castle grounds without my caretaker that I absolutely despised. As long as I stayed on the castle grounds, I didn't have to be watched by him. Studies were over for a few months and I occupied my free time by reading. I sat on the grass reading a book, not paying attention to anyone around me. I was in that drowsy state where you're so focused on something so much that you feel like you're actually apart of the story. It's kind of scary being in this state. A murderer could sneak up behind you and you wouldn't even notice.

I was too occupied to realize a certain red haired girl running swiftly and silently towards me. Mckayla was like ninja on her feet, well, she likes to say she is. She quick and silent, it's a trait most thieves tend to have.

She ran over to me yelling something along the lines of, "Ninja hug!" She dived into a hug. Travers sneaked behind me and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

Nate jumped in front of us and pulled out a Polaroid. He made sure that we could be seen and stuck his head in front of it so he would also be seen too. "Say cheese!" I heard him call out causing me to raise my head up to see what was going on. I looked at the camera and Nate snapped the picture.