Grieving Period

"No man is an island, entire of itself."

~John Donne

The humans were slowly turning into wendigos, and when I say slowly I mean slowly. It was irritating me on how long it took for them to turn. I sat against the wall sorta hugging my legs. I looked down not wanting to see the humans lose their sanity. The idea of death never scared me when I was little. When we die we don't really go anywhere. We return to the earth, we feed the insects, fertilize the ground, etc. Sure our spirits will no longer be attached to our body and they may or may not go anywhere after our death, there's no way to really know unless you ask the deceased. No one wanted to die a horrible, meaningless death. Some people wanted to die in honor, others in their sleep. No... that isn't what is scaring me. I don't want to see my life replayed to me. I don't want to be marked down in history at the stupid king that meant nothing. My goal was to become king again, and I didn't want that being taken from me. I know the possibility of me becoming king again is very low, but we all have dreams and ambitions, don't we?

Karmin sat down beside me to make sure I was okay. She tried to get a good look at my face but I turned my head away from her. I could tell that she felt useless in this situation, we all did. Soon we'd all be met with a horrible fate and that fate was death. We were all anxious. Eugene tried to find a way out, my father was trying to sooth my mother, Elizabeth tried to relight the candles, and Louise was freaking out.

"Alex... I'm sorry... I wish I could help..." Karmin apologized. I ignored her. I didn't feel like talking. I was never the talkative one in our family, Eugene was the one with the biggest mouth. I spent most of my time to myself. I always was more introverted than the rest of my family.

Karmin quickly realized that I wasn't going to talk and she stood up. She pulled out one of her witch bottle things, and walked over to the humanoid creatures. She opened it up to the person closest to turning and placed it near it's mouth. All the visitors were no longer human by now. It let out hisses every time it breathed. The wendigo had already lost the color in it's eyes and pulled out their hair. The creature looked at Karmin and roared at her. She backed away from it and closed the bottle. The creature crawled over to her with great haste. She was shaking slightly.

The room was silent. The wendigo pounced at her like a predator to its prey. She scurried away from the beast hitting the table. The flatware fell from the table and onto the ground distracting the beast for a second. She better be more careful, that silverware cost more than her life. Then it hit me, silverware is made from silver. I read somewhere in my tome about supernaturals that many undead creatures hated silver.

"Silver!" I shouted to her. She hissed at me. Fine then bitch, die. I looked around for something else she could use to kill it. A lot of creatures hate salt. Salt is said to ward off evil spirits so maybe it'll work.

I stealthily sneaked over towards the table to grab the salt when on of the wendigos caught me off guard and pounced on me. I tried to kick it off of me but it grabbed my leg and bit it. I winced in pain. The wendigo didn't let go of my leg, it continued to bite down deeper and deeper into it. It penetrated my leg with it's sharp, jagged teeth leaving blood oozing out of my leg. I started to whimper in pain. I'm not ready to die. Yes I understand we return to the earth and out spirits do whatever, but I don't want to die.

I grabbed one of the silver forks that fell onto the floor and stabbed the wendigo's jaw causing it to lose its grip on my leg allowing me to kick it away and grab the salt. I also grabbed a silver knife and jabbed it into the wendigos skull killing it.

"Stab it's heart!" Karmin instructed whilst stabbing the wendigo that attacked her's heart. I stabbed the wendigo's heart and it made a cracking sound as if I was crushing ice.