Old Friends

"Rest assured I'll die knowing my demons
they don't like me very much
but they are old friends
So I might as well say hello and pour them a drink"  ~Dakota Jax Crider

     The ships were pulling into the docks. I stood at the pier waiting with Karmin by my side. Though it was late Autumn almost winter, it was fairly warm outside. It was warm with a slight breeze to keep us cool. The sun was shining with little clouds in sight and the sea was as blue as the sunny skies. It was honestly refreshing to get away from the cold for once.

     Karmin had her hair in a messy side bun allowing some curls to fall out and frame her face. She wore a floppy-ish crochet sunhat with a black brim and a white ribbon. Her dress had blue and white horizontal strips and a brown belt lining the waistline. She wore white sandals with a slight heel. The wind made her hair flow slightly in the wind. She held onto her hat to keep the wind from blowing it into the sea. She looked around the port with curious eyes, looking out for the boats that would soon be coming in.

     "Look!" She pointed out to the sea as ships were starting to pull into the harbor. The sailors pulled into the docks. I closed the book I was reading while I waited and looked at the ships trying to see the people coming out. I wonder if Nate was on that ship.

     As I was looking, a certain towhead came running straight at me. Before I had time to register who was running at me, I felt myself caught in a tight grasp.

     "Alec! Ahoy! How you doing mate?" I could tell who this blonde was from a mile away. From his towhead hair to his sailor speech, it was obvious who was speaking to me.

     "N-Nate?"

      "The one and only!" He let go of my and popped his neck and back, "Mate I'm crooked. My cabin wasn't the best place and my berth wasn't comfortable either. It was so windy outside I was almost scared of a squall!" He rambled on and on about useless sailor nonsense.

     Nate was an old friend of mine, one out of three. Nate, Travers, and Mckayla were my three best friends from around the ages of six to twelve. Nate was the kind,adventurous one of the group. His father was a local sailor and Nate would always talk about the adventures his father went on. He always dreamed of one day going on one with his dad, and that day came when he was around eleven. Leaving Travers and I left. I haven't spoken to him since he left nine years ago.

     He looked over at Karmin and looked back at me with a questionable look, "Who's the pretty lady?" He looked enchanted by Karmin's beauty. He admired her with loving eyes.

     "Her name is Karmin, she's my partner." She smiled and waved at him. He blushes slightly and waved back at her. He groomed his wavy unkempt hair that was probably messy from being at sea for all those years. He took off his sailor cap and placed it on his chest as he bowed at her.

     "Ahoy, ma'lady." He looked up at her and gave her a charming smile. I was almost tempted to punch him in the face, "Would you like to embark on an adventure on my vessel?" He gave her a slight smirk and a wink causing her to let out a few giggles.

     "What the hell do you mean by that." I glared at him raising an eyebrow.

     "I was asking her if she wanted to look around my ship, cool you dick." Nate reassured me. I still don't think that's what he meant by that, but I brushed it off.

     We sat by the pier looking out into the ocean catching up on old times. He told me on how he worked with navigating and mapping out lands. He sang to us a sea chantey called "Santiano." I didn't really understand the importance of the song but Nate claimed it to be his favorite.