Part III: The Assasin

Imagine winning a race, only to find out later that someone beat you by a millisecond. Imagine getting two bullseyes in archery, only to watch your competitor split an arrow right down the middle of another one. On the bullseye. That's the feeling Sam Winchester felt that day. When he ran in to find Kelsey dead. And knowing that she wouldn't have been if he had hit harder, if Cas would have broken the door sooner, if they had gotten there faster. Every bit of happiness, which wasn't much to begin with, drained from him. He wanted to move, he wanted to run toward her and shake her so she would wake up. And so he could wake up from his own nightmare. But that didn't happen. He was frozen where he stood.
Everything faded away. The only thing in the room besides him was Kelsey, laying on the floor a few feet away. When he could finally move, he stepped past Castiel and Dean and over broken glass that was crushed under his shoes. His whole body was stiff, and his fists were clenched; his fingernails making 4 small c's on the inside of his palm. Black ash on the ground, the ceiling, and the walls took on the form of Kelsey's wings, some places still on fire. His breath was shaking.
Tears spilled over Sam's eyes, running down his face. Dean could hardly look at Kelsey, laying on the floor. Castiel and Thomas looked horrified as well; they had just lost a sister. Another sister. Probably the most important one of all.
"For you imbeciles that think I've lost my mind since I was last out of the cage," Lucifer started, "I knew Zoe had the archangel blade, I know Castiel had the archangel blade, and I know you handed it off to Kallisandria. What I didn't expect was her to use an illusion on me."
"A what?" Castiel asked.
"An illusion," he repeated, "a carbon copy of yourself to catch another angel off guard, probably to kill them. Honestly, Castiel, hasn't Gabriel taught you anything?"
Sam walked over to Kelsey, looking at her from above.
She's really gone, he thought. And she's never coming back.
Her eyes were closed. Her left arm was partially covering the angel blade wound, her right was to her side. Her face was almost as pale as the floor below her.
Sam looked back at illusion Kelsey, still standing perfectly still, straight, and tall in the center of the room.
Kelsey, Sam thought, please come back to us. You're the only one that can beat him.
Sam looked closer at Kelsey. Where was the archangel blade? Castiel had given it to her right before they had been taken to that room, didn't he? So why wasn't it in her sleeve?
"Where are we, Lucifer?" Sam asked.
"Well," he started, "it's nicknamed 'Gods room', probably because God spent years in here trying to perfect the angel Kallisandria. The longest time he spent on a single angel," he continued, "probably because he was making the most complex angel of all time: the one that would have the ever so important task of watching the Winchesters. Why do you wanna know, Sammy?"
"Don't call him that." Dean interrupted.
"Sam," Lucifer corrected, sliding his eyes at Dean.
"Just wondering," Sam answered, "why here, of all places."
"You've been here before?" Lucifer narrowed his eyes, recognizing the look in Sam's eyes.
"Yeah," Sam replied, "in a dream. But it was...different. Smaller. It was where Dream Dean warned me that Kelsey was going to hurt us. All of us. But I didn't listen."
"Oh," Lucifer said, wiping an imaginary tear from under his eye, "touching, Sam. Really."
He walked closer to Sam, Dean, and Castiel. Now, he stood between them and illusion Kelsey. Then, illusion Kelsey moved. Just slightly, Sam wasn't even sure Dean or Castiel saw it. It was the glint of the archangel blade coming out from inside her jacket sleeve and into her right hand.
"So," Lucifer started, "how about the five of us-"
In one quick motion, Kelsey turned around and stabbed Lucifer in his back with the archangel blade.
"You see, Lucifer," she whispered in his ear, "you seem you have forgotten one thing. The teacher always saves her best tricks for last."
And with that, Kelsey plunged the archangel blade deeper into his back. The light he gave off was like nothing Sam had ever seen before. It filled the entire room; he had to shield his eyes for the fear of being blinded, and Lucifer threw his head back and yelled in pain. The light disappeared as soon as it came, and his body fell to the ground, crumbled into dust, leaving nothing, not even burnt angel wings, but only burnt ashes behind.