XVIII.

Sam woke up laying on the ground, outside the bunker, a few feet away from Dean.
"Dean," he asked, "you okay?"
Dean sat up. "Yeah Sammy," he replied, "you?"
"Fine. What did Malphas want?"
"I think I know the answer to that," Claire said, coming through the front door. "Kelsey."
"Why would she want her?" Sam asked. "No offense."
"Leverage, I'm assuming," Claire answered, "or maybe just to get a threat out of the way."
"A threat?"
"Didn't you know?" Thomas asked Sam. "She was the one who taught Lucifer everything he knew. If anyone can kill Lucifer, it's Kelsey."
"We need to get to her now," Dean ordered, "you said that barn, right?"
"Yeah," Claire answered. "Castiel? Will you do the honors?"
He nodded.
"Everyone have an angel blade?" He asked. They all checked and nodded. Claire had grabbed an extra one for Kelsey. "Okay."
Sam merely blinked, and the world around him changed from the inside of the bunker to a barn amongst tall grass, off of the asphalt road all of them stood on.
They walked the rest of the way, which wasn't a far distance. When they got a little closer, they heard voices that didn't bother to keep themselves quiet.
"I am done with you, Zoe. I've had no trust in you since the day we gave you those demons, and then got all of them killed!"
"You know what? Maybe I don't want to be on your side anymore. You better be glad that Lucifer is out doing whatever he's doing, because then he won't see me send you back to hell, Malphas!"
"Send...send me back to hell?" She laughed to herself. "I'd like to see you try."
Castiel ran through the stable doors, his tan trench coat blowing behind him. "Zoe...blade!"
Zoe understood Castiel immediately, and she tossed the archangel blade to Castiel. Sam, Dean, and the rest of the Angels ran in with their blades ready.
Malphas took out her angel blade from inside of her jacket and walked towards them.
"Hey," Zoe said from behind her. Malphas stopped and turned around.
"You know," Malphas started, "how about I end this right now?"
She brought her hands up to eye level, one facing toward Zoe, the other toward Jakob. Suddenly, the two of them dropped to the ground. Sam, who was right next to him, bent down and checked his pulse. His heart was as silent as the barn had just become.
"I told you Winchesters," Malphas finally spoke, "every time you screw up, an angel and a mortal would die."
"Looks like you're the one who's screwed up, Malphas." Claire said, slowly walking towards Malphas. The demon narrowed her eyes. "You see," she continued, "Michael wasn't the one who had been wrongfully put in hell. It was Zoe. She was just an angel lured by a false family love down to hell." She could almost reach Malphas now. "And by making that sacrifice for us," she was now directly in her face. She reduced her voice to a whisper. "I can kill you now."
Claire thrust her angel blade into Malphas' abdomen. Inches from Claire's face, Malphas had froze where she stood, light flickering on and off behind her face. Her eyes were filled with hatred, with the sense of defeat, and then...nothing. The life drained out of her face as Claire let her fall to the ground.
"What is all the fuss about?" Sam heard from behind him. He, along with everyone that was still alive, turned around. There, in the threshold of the doorway, stood Lucifer.
"Hey Sam, Dean...Claire. And Thomas, with your newfound power. How's that working out?"
Where was Castiel? In the few seconds between Malphas dying and Lucifer coming, he had disappeared.
"How's everyone doing?" Lucifer asked. "Because I happen to be doing fabulous. Everyone's here..." He looked around the barn. "except for Kelsey and
Castiel, right? Well," he snapped his fingers, and they appeared in the space between Sam and Dean. "So glad you two could join us." Castiel's eyes widened at the sight of Lucifer. "Now," he walked closer to Kelsey, "let's talk about my old friend, Kallisandria. Ah, how it's been too long. Back when the darkness first came around, she was my teacher. She would've helped us defeat the darkness herself, even taken on the mark herself, but...tsk tsk," he shook his head, "guess she didn't wanna be a part of the angel bedtime story. And, oh, how much smarter I've gotten. I would say," he continued, "no offense to you, that the student has surpassed the master."
Sam noticed a pair of broken handcuffs that Castiel was hiding in his palm behind his back. Kelsey continued to rub her wrists.
Lucifer walked over to Thomas and Claire, who stood by each other.
"Silly old angel blades don't work on me," he smirked, "but they most certainly...work on other angels."
The angel blades flew out of their hands and across the open space of the barn, clattering on the ground.
He picked Claire up by her collar and lifted her feet off the ground.
"If you want to try and kill me," Lucifer muttered, "you're going to have to try harder than that puny angel blade."
And with that, with his free hand he sent Thomas sliding through the dirt and hay all the way to the other side of the barn. Claire followed him with her eyes, but couldn't go after him.
With one swift motion, Lucifer took his own Angel blade out and stabbed a distracted Claire in the stomach. A light shined so bright from her face that Sam had to cover his eyes. He felt the heat coming off of her on his forearm. He threw her body, lifeless, to the ground.
"Claire!" Thomas yelled. The sound blasted Lucifer off his feet. He laid there, breathing heavily. Everyone watched in shock.
"Whew," he laughed, getting to his feet and brushing the dirt from his jeans and shoulders. "Your new mojo packs a punch, doesn't it?"
"Go to hell," he snarled.
"Been there, done that," he narrowed his eyes, "didn't agree with me. Now, I hate to see an angel go to waste like that," he continued as Thomas came back over to where everybody else stood, "but, once you become a Winchester..." He paused, "what's that saying? Oh..." he smirked, "right. Family...always ends in blood."