Thirty Nine: Angry Ex-Girlfriend

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~39~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one moves. For the next few moments the room is absolutely still. 

Even I understand. One move and I'm dead.  

Silence takes over as we all wait for someone to make a move.  

It seems that everyone else has the same idea as well, for both sides stay put, waiting for the other to move. 

"I'm not coming back," Jake finally growls angrily at Leo. "What a pity," Leo says in a bored voice, pulling the gun's trigger, the loud bang of the shot echoing around the Warehouse. 

Jake falls to the ground, eyes widening with shock as he groans in pain. I watch everything play out in front of me as if in slow motion, unable to move, cry out, walk, run, anything. 

I can't do anything. 

I force my limbs to work, rushing over to Jake, my mind snapping back into place. 

Who cares if I die? I s'pose there isn't much left to live for, anyway. 

I fall to my knees beside Jake, tears brimming in my eyes as he falls in and out of focus. 

"Jacob. Hey," I say urgently, shaking him. His breathing is slowly becoming shallower and shallower, and his eyelids are fluttering as he struggles to stay alert. 

"Don't you fucking die on me! You promised!" I beg, letting the tears fall freely now.  

"Jake, please," I beg once more. "I'm sorry," he forces out, giving me one last small smile. 

"Jacob," I whisper softly, the tears falling faster now as my breathing quickens.  

He reaches up and weakly runs the back of his hand down my cheek one last time, his shallow breathing stilling into nothingness. 

The misery crashes over me like a tidal wave. I give Jake one last kiss on the forehead and rise, lunging at Leo. 

For lack of a better weapon, I rake my sharp nails brutally down his face. 

"Fuck you," I spit, letting my nails dig deeply into his skin, making him yelp in pain. 

One should never underestimate the threat of sharp nails, especially coming from an angry girlfriend. 

Ex-girlfriend, I correct myself bitterly, leaping back as Leo makes a grab for me. 

Without hesitation, he reaches out for his gun once more, cocking it and aiming at me, preparing to shoot. 

"Fucking be my guest," I growl, standing back and closing my eyes as the sound of the gun shot washes over me.