Ten: Right Side Up

~~~~~~~~~~~~10~~~~~~~~~~~

I end up spending the rest of the day driving around aimlessly with Natalie, waiting for my step-monster to leave.

When Natalie finally forces me to call the house with her cellphone, Kara picks up almost immediately and we get into a heated argument for a few minutes.

Eventually, I find out that Carmela left some time ago. I knew that Kara wasn't finished making me suffer yet though.

"Yeah. I'll be over there in five." I sigh, pressing the 'end' button and returning Natalie's phone.

Natalie quickly shifts the gear into 'drive' and floors the engine without a word.

She drops me off in front of my house, speeding off after I insist that I don't need company, and I can't help but think how ominous it looks before heading inside.

Not nearly as welcoming or cheerful looking as the last time I was here with Nat.

"Hey. I'm home." I call, proceeding to the living room. I look around, confused. No one's here.

Usually, Kara would be on the couch waiting up for me. "Drink?" I jump with surprise.

Kara emerges from the doorway holding out a large bottle of Vodka. I raise an eyebrow.

"So you're letting me drink now?" I ask coolly. "Why not? Apparently you already do things without my consent." I sigh tiredly.

"Look if you're talking about school-" "I meant you leaving the house. What happened at school?" She asks sharply, frowning.

"Nothing. Have you been drinking all this time?" I reply, hastily changing the topic.

Her eyes are slightly unfocused and she teeters a bit as she walks toward me, so I think I know the answer to my question.

"A bit. What happened at school?" "NOTHING." I say firmly, giving her a look.

"You can't just walk out of everything, you know." I stare at her incredulously.

Either it's the alcohol talking or she really does believe I'm a quitter.

"What, like your mother dearest walked out on US?" I snarl. "She came back! Why don't you just-"

"Just WHAT? Give her a CHANCE? Like she gave US a chance? Face it, Kara. She doesn't deserve any of this hospitality. And the fact that you're handing it to her on a silver fucking platter just makes her think she can step all over you without having to deal." I say with a note of finality, exiting the living room and running up stairs as fast as I can.

I hear Kara calling after me pleadingly but decide to ignore it. She doesn't deserve my attention right now. If she steps foot into my room she's going to get it, I swear to God.

I turn over sleepily in bed and turn off the single source of light in my room, (an old lamp that I'd gotten when I first moved in) plunging myself into darkness.

***

I don't get a wake up call the next day.

Kara doesn't come upstairs to drag me out of bed like she usually does, so I wake up at around eight o' clock.

She's probably in some alcohol-induced coma, passed out in her room.

There seemed to be a lot of Vodka in that bottle last night.

Despite being crazy late, I take my time.

I take a long, warm shower, brush my teeth at a leisurely pace and get dressed slowly. I'm not very eager to get to school.

To top off my already terrible start to the day, since Natalie is undoubtedly already at school, I have to WALK, which takes at least ten minutes.

I grumble to myself the whole way there, swearing as I go.

Once I arrive, it's nine-fifteen, and I decide to wait for the break in between second and third period to go inside, so as not to draw too much attention.

I'm sure Natalie will be on my case about this. And Kara might as well be ticked off on my imaginary list of OVERLY PARANOID PEOPLE WHO WORRY ABOUT ME TOO MUCH.

I decide to climb the large oak tree outside while waiting for the bell to ring.

I should really get an alarm clock.

Unfortunately for me though, last night was a tiring one, so I almost immediately begin to doze off in my spot on the tree.

I'm floating in that pleasant peacefulness that only sleep can provide, when I'm shocked awake by a loud yell.

I bolt up on instinct, forgetting that I'm in a tree.

My feet slip on the branch and I grab frantically for a hold, which results in my feet slipping even more.

I start falling head first towards the ground and somehow end up hanging upside down from the lowest branch of the tree.

I spit a long string of profanities toward the culprit.

"Well fancy seeing you here." Jake's smirking face pops up directly in front of mine, so close that we're practically breathing the same air.

"What the hell do you want?" I ask, gasping for air. "To help." Jake answers simply, reaching up towards my feet and pulling me down easily.

I'm still clumsy though, and my legs are still weak from so much effort.

When my feet touch the ground, my legs give out almost immediately and I fall onto my backside with a huff.

My cheeks flame up, and I clear my throat awkwardly. What's he doing just standing there?

Jake simply rolls his eyes and starts walking away.

I quickly rise and brush myself off, pushing past him.

A hear soft chuckle behind me, and then nothing else.

I spin around, searching. How odd. Where's Jake? He just disappeared. Wasn't he behind me not two seconds ago?

Suddenly, I see his broad, muscular frame appear farther ahead.

He has his arm around some brunette and is whispering into her ear, resulting in her smug smile.

She then proceeds to pull herself closer to him, practically grinding up against him as she whispers something in return that makes him smirk.

I can see her batting her eyelashes from here. This one's a handsy one.

My fist clenches tightly for some reason, and I slam it into a random locker angrily as I head for the cafeteria.

Shocked stares follow me along the way, and it's all I can do not to punch them as well.