Twenty Seven: Not A Pillow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~27~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not my pillow. A pillow isn't this hard. Or solid. Unless this is some kind of prank where Jake snuck a rock or a brick or something into the pillow case while I was asleep. 

Wait. Jake? Oh no. Please, no.  

My suspicions are confirmed when I pry my eyes open and lift my head, staring down at Jake's perfectly sculpted chest, the plains and dips visible through his thin white shirt. 

I groan, and untangle my body from his, our limbs an intertwined mush of legs and arms. 

"Where are you going?" He asks groggily, his arm grabbing me out of nowhere and wrapping around my waist, pulling me back down. 

I don't answer, instead I pry his arm from my waist and turn over to shut off the alarm. 

"Who set that?" He asks, sitting up. "I did," I answer, brushing my hands through my hair sleepily. 

"When?" "Last night, when else?" I ask, getting up and picking out my outfit for the day. 

"Me first, Gorgeous," he says, overtaking me on my way out of the room and slamming the bathroom door in my face. 

I have the strong urge to pound relentlessly on the door and yell, but Miranda would probably hear me and really decide to kick me out. 

Fifteen minutes later, Jake emerges from the bathroom with a smirk. I roll my eyes and shove him out of the way so I can get ready.  

*** 

"I don't like this song." I say, reaching over to change the track. "Well I do." Jake retorts, slapping my hand away. 

"Hey!" "What?" "I said I don't like it!" "So?" "Change it!" "No!" We continue bickering like this all the way to school, snapping and growling at each other like dogs. 

"We're here," Jake finally says in a flat tone, unlocking the doors. "Thank God," I mutter, rolling my eyes. 

"What're you doing?" I ask in disbelief as Jake lets his arm settle around my shoulders. He smirks. I raise an eyebrow quizzically and give him a look. 

"People are staring," I mutter, biting on the inside of my cheek. "So?" Jake asks with a grin.  

"So people are staring," I reply, attempting to pry his arm from my shoulder. "Maybe I want them to stare," Jake says coolly, smirking at me.  

"Well I don't. Let go," I snap. "I'm walking you to first period," he snaps in returns. "No." "We have first period together." "So?" "So I'm walking you."  

We're at each other again, just like in the car on the way to school. Except now it's ten times worse, what with everyone is staring and sniggering at our incessant bickering. 

*** 

The rest of the day goes by in a vague blur. It's as if most of my days are now simply composed of Jake, and nothing else. 

I sigh, blowing the hair out of my eyes. "We're going to have to do something about Leo," Jake says out of the blue, catching me off guard.  

I give him a suspicious look before continuing, "What do you propose?" Jake smirks. "Well..."