Thirteen: Someone I Hate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~13~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks again." I say, getting out and slamming Jake's car door closed. He smirks in response and gives me a mock salute before driving off.

We'd done a grand total of four pages on the research paper and had finished half the essay together.

I'm grumbling to myself about Jake's inefficiency when someone's hand clamps suddenly over my mouth, muffling my scream of surprise.

"Shut up, bitch. Make another sound and I'll slice your throat open." A rough, deep voice says, holding a knife firmly against my throat.

I know that if I move even slightly, the knife is sure to draw blood.

"What do you want?" I whisper, gritting my teeth to keep the tears from sliding down my face.

"Listen to me, Princess." The voice whispers, pressing the knife in further, drawing a small drop of blood.

It takes all I have not to spit at his feet in disgust.

"Do what I say and I won't hurt you." The man says, loosening his grip on me slightly to reach for my arm.

I don't dare try and make a move against him. He's much too strong.

Instead, I give my arm willingly and stare up at the man holding me captive.

He is tall and has long, greasy hair and a slender, upturned nose. His lips are drawn out in a permanent smirk and there is a long slash on the left side of his face, starting right below his pale grey eyes.

I close my eyes when I feel the knife move from my throat to my arm.

"Perhaps your little boyfriend will finally get the message." The man says, pressing the knife into my skin.

I cry out in pain, tears springing to my eyes and streaming down my face rapidly.

The man stops digging the knife into my skin and growls, "One more sound and the arm comes off. Understand?" I nod, gritting my teeth.

The man proceeds to carve my skin up with the knife, and I can see a word beginning to form on my arm.

I squint through my tears to try and make out the bloody mess.

My arm now feels numb with pain, and my eyelids begin to flutter.

The man continues pressing and dragging the knife along my skin, each new letter resulting in a flare of sharp pain along my arm.

I bite my lip so hard that the skin cracks, and it begins to bleed as well.

After a few more seconds, the man finishes and throws my arm aside as though I have a contagious disease.

"Tell Jake that Leo said hello." The man says, running a bloody finger down my face slowly before turning and walking away.

I gasp in pain and hug my arm to my side, bloodying up my shirt in the process.

Stumbling to the house, I grab my key out of my pocket and unlock the door clumsily, almost tripping twice.

I walk as quickly as I can to my room and clean up the bloody mess that is my arm as quickly as I can.

Kara can't see this.

Once I'm finished, I head downstairs, still shaking with fear and pick up the landline in the hall to dial Jake's phone.

"What?" Jake's annoyed voice comes up on the other line after a while.

"Jake." I gasp, on the verge bursting into tears.

Jake's voice immediately softens with worry, and he says, "What happened?"

"L-L-Leo." I stutter into the phone, tears emerging again.

I hear Jake curse in the background quickly before his voice comes back onto the phone.

"Stay right where you are. I'm coming to get you." He says quickly, hanging up before I have a chance to reply.

"Lily?" Kara's voice asks from the living room. "Uh, yeah?" I reply, praying as hard as I can that she won't come into the hall to check on me.

My arm is a mess, even though I've cleaned and bandaged it. And the cuts are too large not to be noticed.

If Kara sees me like this she could call the hospital and have me put in an asylum.

"Come in here." She says. "I can't." I reply anxiously. "Why not?" Kara's voice is tinted with annoyance now.

Just a bit more and she might finally decide to come to me instead. "I'm leaving." I answer, trying to hide the guilt and pain in my voice.

"Well at least come and talk to me for awhile, I'm your sister." She replies, and I hear the TV turn off.

"Jake where are you? Hurry!" I plead in my mind.

"What's been going on, Lily? You've always been difficult but this, this is... not you." She finishes, emerging in the living room doorway.

I quickly tuck my left arm behind my back, ignoring the raw pain and the feeling of the blood beginning to soak up my clothes again.

"I'm sorry, Kara. I'm having a hard time adjusting is all." I reply, biting my lip to keep the tears from re-appearing.

"I'm worried about you." She says, striding closer. "Look, Kara-" we are interrupted by a loud honk from outside.

Only one person would have the audacity to disrupt such a peaceful neighborhood.

"Well, that's my ride. Gotta go. Sorry!" I say, hastily turning and rushing to the door before Kara can reply.

I bolt out into the cold night air, clutching my arm protectively to my side and running to Jake's monstrous car.

I've never been so glad to see someone I hate in my whole life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GASP!* What did Jake DO??? Are you guys feeling the suspense? Haha. Not a very lengthy chapter, but I still hope ya'll like it!

Question: Who do you guys think Leo is? Comment or PM me, and don't forget to vote. ;)

xoxo,

Sofi