Part 25: Quiet

It felt like I was floating on a cloud. Timeless and senseless. The consistency felt like water, thick and heavy, making dull voices sound even more distant and muffled. I tried to speak, but nothing more than bubbles escaped from my mouth. Bubbles slowly floating through the existence and bursting when they reached another surface.

What is going on? Where am I?

Something heavy was weighting me down, making it absolutely impossible for me to move a muscle. Was this what heaven was supposed to be like. I drifted around in a never ending circle, losing all track of reality and erasing the fine lines towards imagination.

Something, or someone were squeezing what I assumed would be my hand softly, but I couldn't return the gesture.
"Happy new year beautiful," a gorgeous voice suddenly called out, making me aware of all the noises around me. Distant fireworks, drowned laughter and an annoying, consistent beeping. Could this possibility be a hospital? How did I end up here, and was it new years Eve already?

"I wish for nothing but for you to wake up. I love you, Kayleah. Please come back to me."

It was obvious that this person cared for me. They even knew my name! I couldn't think of anyone else who knew it except for my family. To be honest, I was fairly surprised someone was here at all, giving the fact that I've got no friends. I needed answers, but frustratingly enough I couldn't utter a single word.

~

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise."

Someone were singing softly as I again floated into consciousness. Thr voice were vaguely familiar, but I really couldn't place it. He sang like an angel.

"Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you."

I recognised the lyrics. It was Rue's lullaby from the Hunger Games. I remember singing it to my little brother when he was younger to calm him down after a nightmare. I haven't sung it since the day of the accident.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away."

All of a sudden, it felt like someone were stuffing my ears full of cotton. I tried to scream, open my eyes or at least respond with a touch to the gentle hand that was entwined with mine. I won't let go.

"Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you."

I gave in, and the darkness filled with the unknown washed over me, drowning me once more.

~

"The vital signs are looking good, Mr. Howell. The internal infections are responding well to the antibiotics, and her internal bleeding have stopped. She's recovering well from the bypass surgery. We have very high hopes that she will wake up soon." A strangers voice called out, obnoxiously loud for my tasting.

"Is Leah in any pain," another voice asked. I knew this one, but couldn't exactly place it.
"I believe not, we have restored the hydration, and her brain activity is looking positive." the stanger said.
"Can she hear me," a third voice said. It was the one closest to me, and most likely the one holding my hand. I recognised it as the guy who had sung for me the other day, and also the one who'd wished me happy new year.