Part 14: Runaway

I wished for my sleeves to be longer as the three of us walked down the stairs. Yeah alright, Dan's sleeves, but still. They were long enough to cover my hands and still had a lot to go on, but you could never be too safe, right?

I felt like a sandwich walking between them, and it wasn't particularly comfortable. The suffocating had already begun, and I knew I couldn't escape it without hurting someone, and that would rather be me than anyone else.

"I think we should go to Costa Coffee instead of Starbucks. We don't want to be too stereotypical, right?" Phil suddenly exclaimed. "Besides PJ told me they've recently got some killer muffins I want to try out!"

Yeah right, more food. Sigh...
"Sounds good to me," I said less enthusiastic. "Dan, any thoughts you want to bestow upon us, your humble servants?" I added sarcastically.
"Actually I rather think I'll enjoy forcing my company upon that coffee shop Phillip is speaking so highly of," Dan replied in a posh accent.

-Timeskip til the actual coffee shop-

"Earth to Leah? Are you paying attention at all?" Dan laughed as he waved his hand in front of my face.
"Hm?" I replied sheepishly.
"I asked you what you want to order. Phil wants a latte and muffin, I'm having a cappuccino and a baguette. What can I get you?"
"Uhm well.." I whispered as I stared in horror at all the food, no scratch that, poison in front of me. I couldn't get away without order something judged by the look on Dan's face.
What here will make you the least fat?
"I'll just have a mint tea without sugar and milk." it sounded more like a question than an order.

The lady behind the counter just nodded while punching in the order into the apparatus.
"Is that all, Leah? You barely ha-"
I walked away before Dan could finish his sentence. My eyes took a sweep over the small shop and I spotted Phil in a small, intimate cubicle in the corner. It was facing the streets.
Oh well.

I felt a little guilty for not staying and helping Dan with the drinks as I sat down opposite of Phil. He smiled at me. For some reason he always knew how to behave and what to do, Phil's presence had a calming effect on me.
Dan joined us a minute later as he placed the tray on the table and took a seat next to Phil.
Great, now they both will judge you as you eat.
No they won't, because I didn't order any food.

"Thanks," I muttered quietly as I wrapped my fingers around the paper cup containing the hot beverage. For some reason my hands were always cold, so I often used cups as a heating resource.

Both of their eyes laid upon me, but I ignored it as best as I could while staring out though the window.
Dan and Phil instantly started a conversation which I had no interest in. I tried hard to pay attention, I just couldn't.

Don't drink it!!!
I took a small sip of my tea.
Fatass.
I looked away from the table and kept studying the pavement outside the window. Strangers feet got in my way repeatedly. It annoyed me for some reason. I hardly ever went out, all I ever saw if I did were perfect people with perfect lives complaining about something insignificant.

What if I looked like her? That guy is skinnier than me. I wish I had her skin. He must be really happy, I wonder who he's talking to on the phone.

The mention of my name snapped me back into the present.
"Hm?" I said as I turned my gace towards the boys in front of me.
"You keep daydreaming, don't you? I wonder what you're thinking about. Care to share?" Dan said with a small, hopeful smile.
"I was just thinking about something, it's really not interesting though. You'd fall asleep if I told you."
"Hm, I doubt that. Anyway we were just discussing how good this chocolate chip muffin is and we need a neutral part as a final verdict. Dan is scoring it 6/10, but I swear to god it deserves 9/10. Can you help please?" Phil pleaded. How typical humans, concealing feeding in terms of pretending it to be something else. What am I? A baby?