Part 7: Friendship

"Dan, wake up. You have to leave."
Why was it so hard for me to utter those 7 words?
"Dan," I said again, a little louder this time, tugging my sleeves further down to cover my hands completely. "Please, you need to leave now!"

His eyelids opened slowly only to reveal those gorgeously brown eyes of his. They were a little panicked before they locked with mine and he slowly relaxed a little bit.
"Kayleah?" he whispered in a low voice, still rough from sleep.
Fuck, how did he know my name? I had certainly not told him

"Dan, listen. You can't be here," my voice was near its breaking point so I turned around to head for the door. His hand grabbed mine and stopped me in my tracks. My blood was boiling under his touch.
"Kayleah please, just let m-"
"I don't want your pity!" I spat out, feeling my heart break a little further. "I n-neither want nor n-need your h-help" I managed to stutter through my teeth as I bit my lip to prevent broken sobs to escape. "I j-just," I couldn't say another word.

Dan gently pulled my arm and dragged me closer to him. I started to sob as he pulled me onto his lap and embraced me. We sat there for a long time while I cried into the crook of his neck.
"Shhh, it's okay," he tried to reassure me as he played with a loose part of my hair that had escaped from my bun. "I'm here Kayleah, everything is going to be alright."
He's lying!
I tensed up as he mentioned my name again.
"H-how do you k-know?" I managed to press out though a series of sobs. I looked up to meet his confused eyes.
"A-about my na-name," I continued as he clearly didn't know what I was referring to.
"It was written on the back of a photograph," he confessed as I started to sob again. "I'm so sorry Leah I probably shouldn't have done that."
He sounded really guilty.
Yeah, it's all your fault.

After what felt like an eternity he spoke again: "Leah you need some food, is there anything I can make you?"
I felt sick of the thought of food, but he was already suspecting too much.
"I'd love a cup of tea please," I whispered, suddenly aware of our position.
I was sitting on his lap with my legs around his waist and my hands around his neck. His arms were snuggled around my waist. I tried to get loose, but he just lifted me off his lap and pulled me by my hand towards the kitchen.

The clock on my microwave showed me "17:04", had I really been sleeping that much? I jumped a little of the sound of Dan slamming the cupboard shut, even though I was sitting on the couch in the lounge. He came back shortly afterwards and placed two mugs and a chicken sandwich in front of me on the coffee table.
"I told you I didn't wa-"
"Bullshit," he interrupted me. "You need food and we need to talk."
Oh shit.

Dan's pov
I watched her as she picked the sandwich up with shaky hands. She literally only took 6 small bites before she put it down. I guessed that confirmed my suspicion.
"Leah, why do you do it?"
"Do what," She answered, obviously lying.
"You know exactly what I'm talking about."
Her eyes got noticeably sadder as she held on tighter to her mug.
"I don't know," She whispered. It was killing me seeing her like this. "I deserve it I guess."
I was absolutely shocked. Deserved it? Deserved the pain, starvation and panick attacks? No way in hell.

"Leah, you are the most beautiful girl I've ever laid my eyes upon. You don't deserve any pain! I just want you to be happy and healthy. Leah, please let me help you."
Leah was biting her lips as she struggled against her tears. She looked like a innocent child. My heart was aching with sadness for this poor girl.
Damnit, Dan. You've got it hard for this one.
"Let me help you Leah, please?" I repeated. She nodded quickly and broke contact with my eyes before she stared down into her tea.

"You need to finish your sandwich," I said in a gentle voice. Pushing her was the least of things I wanted to do.
"I can't." Her eyes were threatening to spill tears down her cheeks.
"Why not?"
"I don't know. I'll be sick, I don't want it."
She was obviously searching frantically for more excuses but I beat her to it.
"I tell you what, you finish half of this sandwich and I'll leave it be."

It took her more than half an hour to finish the restoring bits and she was glancing against bathroom door every so often. I needed her to keep it down so I came up with a suggestion.
"Leah, do you wanna come over to my apartment? My flatmate is dying to meet you."
She looked kind of confused for a second before fear spread over her beautiful face.
"Don't worry, it will be okay," I tried to convince her. I really needed this. Not only for her own sake.
"Okay," She whispered quietly before she stood up and threw the rest of her sandwich and now cold tea out.

My apartment was on the floor beneath us, and I laughed as Leah pulled on a pair of bunny slippers.
"What?" She said, smiling as well. "They're comfortable, and it's not like we're very formal or anything."
"Whatever you say," I replied and used the opportunity to grab her hand as we walked down the stairs.

"Phil?" I yelled into out apartment. "I hope to God you're decent in here"
I could hear his chuckle as he appeared from the lounge.
"Always" he said before his eyes fell upon Leah.
"Hi I'm Phil, and you must be the girl Dan's been talking about non-stop for a week I assume?"
I sendt him a death glare.
"That would hopefully be she," Leah said lightly and shook his hand.
I relaxed slightly as they seemed to get along by first impression.
"Phis is doing a horrible job, but he's got the best-friend title" I said sarcastically as he punched my shoulder lightly.

"Phil wanna join us watching a movie?" Leah said suddenly. I was glad she took the initiative, and I showed her by squeezing her hand lightly.
"I'd love to," he squealed, looking like a child on sugar rush. "Dan show her the collection and I'll go pop some popcorn!"

Surprisingly Leah handed me "Inception" to put on as she dumped herself in my usual sofa crease. I joined her, probably a little to close by friendly standards, but I couldn't care less. I just wanted her close.
Phil came back shortly after it had started with a giant bowl and sat down on the other side of Leah.

Halfway into the movie her head was on my shoulder and we were cuddled up under a blanket. Phil was intensely holding on to the bowl of popcorn we'd shared. Leah hadn't taken a single one, even though we'd offered her numerous of times.
I casually wriggled my arm around her waist and pulled her a fraction tighter. She didn't seem to mind at all.
I couldn't actually believe this was happening. She was here, in my apartment watching a movie with my best friend and cuddled up against me. A stupid grin spread across my face and it stayed there throughout the whole movie.

When the credits started I turned my head to look at Leah only to find her asleep on my shoulder. Her lips were slightly parted and she was breathing softly into my neck. I lifted my eyes to meet Phils.
"You really like this girl, huh?" he said, quietly observing my face.
"Yeah," I couldn't exactly deny it anymore, especially not to my best friend.
"I can see why, she's absolutely perfect for you. Smart, funny and pretty."
"Thanks Phil."
"Anytime Dan," he replied.
I couldn't exactly move and Phil didn't want to so after some time he fell asleep as well, with his head in Leah's lap and his fringe spread across his face. I chuckled quietly before I pulled out my phone and took a quick photo.
I was in love with the sight of my two favourite people in the world cuddled up and sleeping without a care in the world.

(a/n)
oHMYGOD THE FEELS/PHEELS.
I absolutely loved this capter and I'm so excited to add Phil into my chapters. Welcome to the family philly :)

Xchris