Chapter 1 The Legend of the Wolf

Comenzar desde el principio

"Why do you want to work for the Covenant so badly?"

"Because, it's the only way I can..." Instantly, Mia went silent. Her gaze remained locked on the bedroom window, seeing only the blackness of the night. She became a statue, unmoving and voiceless. The familiar voice unnerved her soul.

"Oh, come on. You already acknowledged me. Why do you want to be in the Covenant so badly?" The question was emphasized with each word as the looming figure moved towards her.

Mia gripped the windowsill tightly with her hands. Her knuckles became white, but she never spoke. The person came closer. He breathed in her ear as his lips curled into a devious smirk. It had been so long since the last she felt his presence, almost a year now.

'Why...why is he back?' Her mind went frantic.

"You know I'm real." And then she snapped, breaking away from the window. She turned and ran from where he was, screaming loudly. Without hesitation, Mia entered the bathroom and slammed the door shut.

"You're not real! You don't exist!" she yelled, but the man just laughed from the other side.

"Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself," his dark voice sang in amusement.

But to the best of her abilities, Mia tried to ignore his mocking, as she rummaged through her cabinet. Desperately, she fumbled with all the medicines and hair products until she finally got a hold of a razor blade. She gripped it for dear life, readying herself for his next move.

There was silence, no laughter and no voices. The presence she felt had disappeared along with her lingering feeling of dread.

'He's gone.' She emitted a sigh of relief as she clutched the blade. Her mind had not even processed what she attempted to do. It was sleek and cold, and she wondered just how far she would have gone with the razor.

"You are not alone." It was a slithering whisper that sent her back into the turmoil of chaos that her mind created.

She went numb as if a thousand needles erupted within her head and that's when she felt his hands that took hold of her shoulders. They held her tightly in place; his long black nails caressing her dangerously.

Fighting against the hold, Mia shook it roughly to turn and face him, but saw nothing. No one was inside the bathroom with her. She wanted to cry, to let the tears freely grace her face as she remembered it all. Her mind became flooded with thoughts of him.

The boy who was not real or so she was told. He did not exist; Sam was just a figment of her imagination gone wild. Something that took life of its own, grasping on to her existence, but she felt him. Ever since she was a little girl, Sam had always been there. He was her only friend, but after she began to reject him, Sam started to become hostile. He began to age along with Mia and his goals went from comforting to the destroying her resolve.

'It's just my way of coping.' Mia sat herself down on the cold tiles of her bathroom floor. Her head hung low as she forced herself to believe that.

"Is it really? Are you really just coping with the loss of your mother?" His voice came back, but it did not shock her. Mia remained still as if defeated.

"Yes," she said.

"So, you're coping with the loss of your father?" He pressed further. Mia lifted her head hesitantly and looked at him. His black tousled hair and dark onyx eyes were still the same, but his body had changed. He was taller and leaner, all indications of his roundness gone.