Chapter 3

I flinched as her footsteps got louder down the hallway. My bedroom door swung open, revealing my mom standing there with the mop in her hands. Bleach dripping onto the floor.

"Emberlynn, you literally can't do anything." This was the first time today that she criticized me without yelling.

"You don't put the mop back into the bleach! I swear people shouldn't even have kids."

"Then why did you have me in the first place?"

"You were a mistake!"

"And Rosemary?!"

"She was a mistake too! I wish I could control the past."

"Me too, maybe I'd get better parents." I mumbled... maybe a little louder than I thought.

She raised her hand to smack me but Rosemary came into the room.

"Nooo!!" She ran in front of me, her wet hair smacking me in the face.

It all happened so quickly. Rosemary jumped in front of me and all I heard was an echoing smack against Rosemary's cheek, making me flinch in fear at the power my mom held.

"People say you can't take your anger out on your mistakes, but I just did."

She turned around to leave the room, cursing under her breath with every step.

I shut my door slowly, putting my back against it and sliding down. Rosemary was holding her cheek in pain. Tears fell down from her blotchy red eyes. I motioned for her to come over to me as I opened my arms for a hug.

She gratefully took it, as she cried into my shirt, relieving herself from the horrid memory of our mother.

The worst part is I have to call her mom, if I call her by her real name, that is practically digging my own grave. I wish there was a way to escape this living death trap.

For once, I was actually grateful I had school tomorrow.

***

"Rosemary, wake up." I whispered to my little sister in the early morning.

She groaned and pulled the covers up over her head, gripping them tightly so she didn't have to get up.

I giggled slightly at her protestation. Slightly lifting up the covers, I revealed her face peering out at me with a small smile on her face. Her messy hair deeply needed to be brushed. She sat up slowly, her eyes slowly opening.

"I don't want to go to school.." She mumbled under her breath.

"School is the only escape from this trap so I suggest you get up."

She slowly got to her feet, in no hurry at all to get dressed. As she shuffled her way to the bathroom, I put on my grey jacket and fixed the sleeves so she didn't see the scars I was hiding from her. I didn't want to scare her anymore than she already was. Rosemary is easily frightened by all this. If she even hears mom yell one of our names, then she already as a tear rolling down her cheek because she knows what's going to happen.

After about 15 minutes, Rosemary was fully dressed and was ready for me to do her hair. She walked over to me, holding the hairbrush.

I slowly pulled the brush through her hair, watching it as it fell down to her back. Her perfect hair was waist length, and felt like silk. It fit her face frame perfectly. She looked like a little porcelain doll. It really just showed how fragile she really was.

"Come on."

I lead her out the door and to the bus stop. I could tell she wasn't looking forward to another day of problems and people.. neither was I, but it was the only way to escape our horrid parents.

---------------------------

Sorry for the long wait.. I was extremely busy :/ but the chapters up :)

Commenting encourages chapters :) :)