Chapter 28: Confession

Shane, "so tell me then what I have to do?"

Rita, "not now, I will tell this to you tonight, right now all you need is rest. You have too keep all your strength."

When they opened the door and walked out, a very worried Mrs. Johnson immedietly hugged Rita and kissed her (Mrs. Johnson was crying).

Shane, "don't worry, after tonight Rita will be fine. Please get her some rest and you do likewise."

He went up to his room to rest and all he had in his mind were the thoughts of his wife, he definitely felt a lot of love inside and also a certain amount of guilt for betraying her trust, for being weak against the temptation the witch lured him into. Anxiety kept him very restless, he got up and walked upto his study table and picked up the diary Eliana had given him before. He opened it and to his amazement, it was empty, there was nothing written in it. He turned all the pages and on the last page he noticed there was something written, and it read: "now that you know what you are dealing with, you should not even think of fighting. You are just a man and a sinful one rather, you betrayed the trust of your wife and have broken your  marriage vows. You are a sinner of the worst kind."

These were very sharp words that left Shane damaged, the guilt was consuming his heart and he shut the diary and fell down, weeping and asking God to take his life away. He fell sleep right there, his body was exhausted.

Later by evening at around 4 p.m. a very powerful sound came to his ears which woke him up to find himself on the ground. He got up and walked towards the window and noticed that it was the sound of the church bell. He decided to walk in and find some courage and strength. He reached there and knelt before the alter cursing himself. Five minutes has passed by, nothing inside him changed so he got up and started to walk towards the exit gate, the feeling was more like God had rejected him too. The moment he stepped his foot outside the door, there came a voice from behind, "son, do you want to make a confession."

He turned around to see who it was, an elderly priest stood there. Shane replied to him.

Shane, "no father, i guess my sins are beyond repair and it's time for me to leave anyways."

Priest, "I am sure it won't take long, come on in, I still have 20 mins to begin the service and right now it is only you I see in here to have a conversation with. I really need some company."

Shane felt a little comfort because of the casual way the priest spoke. He thought just a 5 mins chat will not harm, so he walked back inside.

Shane, "hello father, my name is Shane."

Priest, "hello Shane, you look like a decent man to me, if I am not stepping into your privacy, what makes you think that God has given up on you?"

Shane, "my emotions of course."

Priest, "really? Haha, you sound like a little girl to me. If I was an emotional man, I would never be a priest. Haha"

Shane, "father I have committed adultry, I have betrayed the trust of my loving wife who is away. That is a terrible guilt to deal with."

There was silence for a moment and Shane got up to walk away, the priest only said one thing. "It indeed is a terrible sin son, the way it makes you feel is justified too but for you to live with it and die with it, will not help anyone. Ask God for forgiveness and it will be given, ask Him for the grace and strength to sin no more."

Shane left the church with those words ringing in his ears.