[ 2 ]

[ Dedicated to Dukebox 

[ Cassandra's POV ]

The boy sat up and grinned at me from across the room.

He smirked. "So have you, or have you not?" 

"Have I what?" I snapped. I hadn't even met the guy properly and he was already getting on my nerves. 

"Finished checking me out." If it was possible, his smirk became wider. The sudden urge to slap it off his face was tempting. 

"I wasn't checking you out, you idiot." I tried to ignore the sudden rush of heat in my cheeks. We both knew I was lying. 

"Who are you anyway?"

"Shane Ryder, hottest guy in Bells Bay." He winked. "And you?"

"Cassandra Greene, your new neighbour." 

Shane raised an eyebrow. "New neighbour, eh? This should be fun." He grinned, and I could see two dimples on each of his cheeks. 

"Er, okay then.." I trailed off awkwardly. I honestly didn't know what he meant by "this should be fun". It sounded frightening, really.

"Your mum asked you to come down to dinner, by the way." I said, turning around and exiting the room before things could get more awkward. 

I navigated my way back downstairs, not bothering to wait for that annoying prick. 

Handsome yes, but annoying nonetheless. 

Voices drifted across the hallway from what I assumed to be the dining room. I followed the noise, and found myself standing in a wide room with a kitchen on one side, and a dining table on the other. 

"Cassandra!" Someone called. It was Marge. "Come on, take a seat at the table, dinner's about to start."

As soon as I sat down, someone slipped into the chair beside me. I turned my head and resisted the urge to groan out loud. It was Shane, thankfully with a shirt on. 

"How come you're here?" I scowled. 

"I'm here because maybe it's my house?" 

Right.

How did I forget that?

I blushed furiously. Well this was embarrassing. I had the worst memory in history. 

"G-go sit somewhere else." I narrowed my eyes at him. 

Shane scrunched his eyebrows together. "You know what?" He grinned. "I think I'll stay here." 

This time I did groan out loud. 

Dinner was served then, and I loaded my bowl with pasta and plenty of tomato sauce.
Shane eyed my bowl with amusement. 

"What?" I snapped. "I like my food." 

He smirked and rolled his eyes, leaning over to scoop a heap of pasta that was twice the amount of mine into his bowl. 

Throughout the rest of the night, right up until dessert, I tuned out most of the conversation at the table, occasionally answering questions when I was asked. My attention was more focused on trying to eat without having my fork being knocked out of my hands or my knee being kicked by the devil himself. No prizes for guessing who was the cause of my frustration. 

I had just scraped the last bits of my cheesecake into my mouth when I heard Marge say something.

"Shane, would you mind taking Cassandra to and from school every morning?" She turned to look at her son. 

I choked on my food and stared at her. Was she crazy? I craned my neck to look at Shane. 

 Please say you do mind, please say you do mind.

I don't think I'd survive the rest of the school year if I had to carpool with him. 

I just hope he had the same opinion as I did. 

"No, I don't mind." 

I guess I spoke too soon. I groaned. Why did I have such bad luck? I was already living next door to the guy! Why did I have to see him every morning and every afternoon too? 

"Cassandra Naomi Greene!" My mother's sharp voice cut through my thoughts.
"Where are your manners? Shane here has agreed to offer you a ride to school, and you don't even thank him?" 

Great, my mother was on Team Shane. 

"Thank you Shane." I muttered. 

Thankfully he didn't pretend to have hearing problems and make me repeat my words. 
There was no way that was happening. 

Fifteen torturous minutes later after everyone had finished eating, (we were all waiting for Shane's dad, Thomas) my parents and I followed the Ryders to the front door to go home.

Just as I was about to step outside, Shane called out something to me. 
"Be ready at 7:30!"

What? Why would I need to be ready at 7:30? 

The confusion must have showed on my face because he smirked and said, "I'm picking you up remember?" 

Oh.

Here you go again Cass, forgetting the simplest of things. 
"Yes, I remember." I forced out, glaring at him. 

I stopped when I realised our parents were standing not too far away. 

Whoops. Wouldn't want to be caught staring daggers at the neighbour's son. 

"It was lovely meeting you all, we'll have dinner round our place sometime soon!" My mother smiled at the Ryders.

I inwardly groaned. No please mum, no more dinners with the Ryders, for the sake of my sanity. One was more than enough. 

"How does tomorrow sound?" Mum asked Marge. 

"Perfect!" Mrs Ryder replied. 

Great, just great. 

I had a feeling tomorrow was going to be a long day, for more than one reason. 

Author's Note-

sorry, this chapter is kind of a filler, so it may be boring ._.

picture of shane on the side. 

comment, vote & follow <3