CHAPTER FIVE(Miki)

Written by Armybrat213

Miki sat at her kitchen table in deep thought. Her father stood across from her eating a slice of pizza that had just been delivered.

"Staring at the phone isn't going to make it ring any faster." Dalton said between bites to his distressed daughter. She kept her eyes trained on the silent iPhone that rested in front of her. Suddenly, it began to go off startling both of them. Dalton shrugged, "Then again what do I know?"

Miki snatched her phone off the table. It was a text from an unknown number so she assumed that meant it was from Ben.

'Drive north. You'll see me, babe.'

Miki set her phone down and bit her lower lip in thought. Her father sighed and tossed his trash before coming over to sit beside her.

"I don't know what to do dad." She murmured.

"Well this sounds pretty important. End of the world and everything."

"Why would mom choose me? I haven't seen her since my 10th birthday nine years ago."

Dalton chuckled and pulled Miki into a tight hug, "I guess she can see what a star you are from wherever she is."

Miki leaned into her father's hug. Her entire life she knew that she wasn't ordinary. She was always the fastest in her class and the strongest. Miki went all through high school pretending to be an average girl. Always wishing she actually could be normal.

"Should I go dad?" Miki finally asked.

"I want you to do what you think should be done." Dalton said softly. "You've always been a good decision maker and I know you'll make the right choice here."

Miki took a deep breath before standing up and grabbing her keys, "I guess I should make a supply run. I'll leave early tomorrow morning to drive north. The guy could be a bit more specific."

Dalton watched as his only daughter left the house. He stood up and began to put the leftover pizza away. As he worked the shadow of wings washed over the wall in front of him.

"You should've come to tell her yourself Nikki." Dalton said not missing a beat. He turned around to see Nike sitting where Miki just was. Her long light brown hair was swept to the side. The white dress she wore hung from her fit frame. Her usual white wings were hidden. Nike never changed her appearance like other gods and goddess. The only thing she took the time to change was occasionally hiding her wings.

"You know I couldn't do that." She said in a melancholy voice that still sounded sweet.

"I don't see why not." He shook his head, "The punk kid told her the news today and she's gonna give it her all. Could you imagine if you had broke the news to her yourself? Miki would move mountains for you, Nikki."

"I don't go by Nikki anymore." She said softly after a moment.

"You'll always be my Nikki." Dalton replied. Nike lowered her head and sighed.

"I am Nike the goddess of Victory."

"You're a mother", Dalton said bluntly causing the goddess to freeze, "A mother who kind of hung her daughter out to dry."

"I can't see her until this is all over Dalton." She said firmly, "A battle is coming. One that requires me to pick a winning side. I have to watch it all and see who the victor is. I can't give the side my daughter is on an unfair advantage. That changes who I am."

"A battle? You're asking her to go into a battle that you won't even have her back in?" Dalton cried in surprise.

"My luck of victory was passed down to her. Zeus hopes that with her working with us it will tilt the balance in our favor." Nike explained unhappily.