The Man with the Serpent Face

I was forced onto a boat, and I took my place next to a line of people.

There where ten in all, 7 of them female, and 2 more male, I was the tenth.

I saw a somewhat familiar head of pale hair.

"Mert!" I say quietly, but somewhat comforted by the familiar kind female,

She looks up at her name and a soft smile broke onto her face, then a harsh voice broke the few moments of security I had.

The man narrow eyes and a serpent like face looked upon me angrily, speaking in the same language the one I didn't understand.

He repeated the statement, I looked up at him, not knowing how to respond to the foreign sounds.

He looked at me for a moment then a hand came flying from nowhere, striking down on my cheek, the power of the strike caused my vision to be dotted red, I breath steadily, my lungs had finally adapted to the air in this world, I refuse to show any signs of weakness.

Mert looks at me her eyes wide with fear, the man looks down upon me with utter disgust. He speaks, again I translate the word 'Monster' such an ironic comment, spoken by the beast himself.

We stand for a long time, my eyelids dropping slightly, but I wouldn't allow myself to be met with the comfort of sleep. Safety is felt when one sleeps, I was far from safe.

I must preserve, and by preserving I may have a chance of surviving.

The serpent man returns, bursting through the door like he was one of the great gods.

He leads us in a straight line onto a platform over the incredibly colored liquid, and before us as a huge complex, built with a pure clear toned type of stone, towering over us. But instead of entering the great building, we walk down a soil path to a smaller, much smaller, complex. He opens the door and one by one removes our chains as we enter the tiny building.

I stand in the corner, bare feet against the dirt floor, Mert finds me and kneels down next to me placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Okay?" She questions slowly, I look at her blankly, "Are you okay?" she repeats slowly. Confused I look at her, wishing I could comprehend the soft words.

She sighs and pets my long inky hair, holding me close.

The small gesture made me feel safe somehow... warm and safe....