Chapter Twenty-Two: Quiet Before the War

Start from the beginning

"Roxie," I whispered, breaking the lingering silence in the room.

"Excuse me?"

"My name. Call me Roxie," I told him in a soft voice.

"Very well. You can call me Xander."

"Xander, huh? Reminds me of someone I used to know."

"And who would that be?"

I laid back down on my bed, accepting defeat. "Someone I'll never see again."

"Did you want to see them again?"

"You're very chatty for a guard," I commented with a small laugh.

I could see Xander give a light grin before replying, "I wasn't always a guard, you know."

"Oh yeah, then what were you?"

"You're very chatty for someone who should be sleeping," he laughed, mocking my words from before.

"You're alright," I chuckled. "But talking helps keep me distracted."

"Distracted from what?"

"I have no idea what to call it. I can just feel my wolf freaking out while asleep."

"Do you think she's waking up?" He asked, panicked no doubt.

"No," I reassured him quickly. "It's nothing like that... something's upsetting her. But since she's asleep, I have no clue what that 'something' is." I shrugged, but he probably didn't see since I was lying down.

"Well it sounds to me that you rely on your wolf to tell you what to do or think."

"Excuse me?" I asked harshly, sitting up with a shocked look frozen on my face.

"I didn't mean to upset you, Roxie. I just think that it would probably help you if-"

"If what? How could you possibly know what I'm going through?!"

"I don't think you give me enough credit. I've seen some of your work," he shrugged, like his comment meant nothing at all.

"You know nothing! Stop pretending like you know me just because you've heard some rumors. I'm tired of everyone talking about me like I'm not here!"

"I know enough alright. You wear your emotions on your sleeve, you expect people to help you so you don't have to help yourself. You pretend to be this helpless little girl when you could do so much more. Open your eyes, Roxie! Your wolf is only taking advantage of you and doing the things you don't have the guts to do yourself!"

I starred at him wide-eyed for the longest of time. I couldn't process his words, they sounded so true. Had I really been acting like that? Is that really how I come off to people? This man barely knows me, yet here he is saying everything about who I am.

"Leave," I ordered, no longer finding his presence helping.

"I don't take orders from you. I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but you needed a push before something bad happens."

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT I NEED! Who are you to talk to me like you know everything about who I am? We just met!"

"No, we met before. I wouldn't expect you to remember though, because you've always been about yourself. I came in here trying to help-"

"No, you came in here firing accusations at me! I'm sorry if I don't remember you, but I'm no longer the girl I was before," I told him sternly. I refuse to be treated like crap again, I've been through too much to accept that kind of treatment.