Chapter Eight: Nothing Worse Can Happen

I sat in the cell crying for hours. No one came around; no one checked on me. I was left all alone to sit there, crying over a man who I thought was supposed to love me. I hate to admit Derrek is right, but he is. He warned me this would happen, but I didn't listen. I hope he can forgive me, I want nothing more than to just go home.

Sadly, my mate turned out to be crap. Xavier thinks he can make me act and talk exactly how he wants. He thinks he controls me and that keeping me down here will give him more power. The truth is, it does. The longer I'm down here, the more broken I feel. I can't believe that my own mate played me. He talks down to me and has no care in the world for how I feel.

This wasn't supposed to be like this, it was supposed to be magical. I was supposed to have a mate who would sweep me off my feet, love me no matter what and always take care of me. I guess you can't always get what you want and right now I'm not even sure I even know what I need.

I just want to leave this horrid place; the second I came in here, I hated it. Xavier and I may have had a moment in that room, but everything else he's done cancels it out. He's heartless and that Julie Summers bitch can have him! I'm done and I'm more than ready to leave this place. All I'm waiting for is someone to save me, someone nice enough to help me out in my embarrassing time of need.

Trust me, I would have broken out of here myself, but it isn't looking like I can. I tried my hardest to grip the bars and pull them apart, but they were all failed attempts. Once I get out of here, the first thing I'm going to do is train. It's really sad to call yourself a wolf when you've never spent a day training in your life. I bet if you got a fourteen year-old in here, she would be able to break out with only two years of training on her life.

Yup, I'm a sad excuse for a wolf; thank you Derrek.

"Hello?" A voice called from across the room.

"Hello!" I called, jumping up to my feet and running over to the bars.

I leaned out of the cell as far as I could, trying my hardest to catch a glimpse of the person. I scanned the room, but I couldn't see anyone or even make out a figure. I was beginning to think that I've actually gone crazy and now I'm hearing voices, but that thought was quick to be shot down the second I heard the man's voice again.

"Roxie, is that you?" Leo asked, moving from the shadows and stepping under the light, into my view.

"Leo!" I cried, happier than anything to see a familiar face.

"What are you doing down here?" He questioned, slowly moving closer to my cell.

I sighed, rolling my eyes at the thought of why I'm in here. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you," I said, giving a weak chuckle to lighten this terrible situation.

Leo lifted one eyebrow up at my words. "Oh yeah? Try me," He urged, stopping his movement once he was close enough to the bars for his liking.

"Your Alpha locked me in here," I hissed, falling to my right to take a seat on the metal bench.

"That's more than believable," Leo laughed, leaning against a bar to face me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, whipping my hair to the other side in order to get a better look at him.

"Alpha Daniels takes his position very seriously. He locks up everyone who disobeys him in this cell, just because he's superior to everyone else around him." He stated with a sigh. "Those bars have a silver center, so no point in trying to break free," He added when I began to pull at a bar again.

I looked down at my lap, processing the information he just gave me. This whole mate situation is just like a sadistic fairytale, I just can't seem to escape no matter where I go. No wonder why I couldn't break out before. I still need to train when I get home, but at least I'm not a complete failure like I thought I was.

I heard something drop to the ground and I looked over to where Leo was standing. He dropped a plate that had some bread with a glass of water on it. I looked up at him questioningly and he just smiled at me.

"They just told me to deliver this to the prisoner we had in the holding cell. I had no idea it would be you in here, I'm sorry." He apologized, but it wasn't his fault.

"Don't worry about it," I shrugged. "I'm used to being locked up; it's what I know best."

"Who locks you up?" He asked, his tone dropping from playful to serious in an instant.

"Doesn't matter," I sighed, wanting to just drop it.

I don't want to get into this with Leo right now. I lead a crazy life and the last thing I want to do is scare someone off. No one has any idea what it's like to be me. People push you around and walk all over you for no good reason. I know Derrek loves me, but with everything he's put me through, I can feel myself slipping away.

"Look, I hate to cut this short, but I have to go. I can't let them catch me talking to you," He gave me a sad smile and started to walk towards the exit.

"Leo, thank you for talking to me. you seem like the only normal one in this hell hole!" I called to him as he opened the door.

I heard a chuckle, then a door slam and lock into place.

* * * * 4 Days Later * * * *

I can't take this anymore. I'm cut off from everyone and everything. I haven't seen Leo, he hasn't come down since before. People I don't know have been giving me food, dirty looks, then proceed to walk away. How could Xavier run a place like this? You're not treated as an equal and I couldn't imagine staying in this pack. I miss my old pack, at least you were treated with respect- well, except for me of course.

Why do I always have to be the person who gets crap all the time? I hate everyone and everything in this place! I must sound really whiny and over dramatic, but  it's genuinely how I feel.

I've been hurt so much over these past few days down here. Xavier gave notice to some people that I am not in fact his 'true mate'. A guy I noticed from the meeting before came down to feed me and when I asked him about all of this, his only reply was that I've been rejected. It hurt like hell to hear that, but I guess I saw that one coming all along.

I cried out as I banged my back against the bars again. There's no room in here and it seems that as the days go by, I'm feeling more and more claustrophobic. How long have I been down here for? When is he going to let me go? If he doesn't want me, then he might as well let me leave. When is he even going to come see me to talk?!

The questions that ran in my head were giving me a headache, that is until I heard the door unlock. Hope came into my mind as I heard two people arguing about something on the other side. The light turned up and the door opened to reveal my mate. He looked at me with worry in his eyes as he walked forward, arguing with someone being held back at the entrance.

"Roxie," He called, moving forward towards my cell.

I didn't answer him, words would only fail me. What do you say to a man who's locked you up for what I can only believe to be days? I can't scream at him and I'm stuck in a tiny cell; I have the lower hand. I also can't just accept what he's done for the last four days. So where do I stand? I have no idea.

"What?" I asked in a weak voice, hoping to make this quick and let him leave sooner.

I waited for his response, my eyes focused solely on the ground below me. I refused to look him in the eyes, I refuse to let that man see my pain. He may be my mate, but he is far from being my love. I hate him, his presence is no longer good to me, it's sickening. Ever since I heard that he wants to reject me and told everyone I'm not his mate, I want nothing more than to get as far away from him as possible. I'm disgusted with this man, I want nothing more to do with him.

"Look at me," He demanded.

I was hesitant to obey, but after awhile I found it wasn't worth fighting. I brought my watery eyes up to meet his hard blue ones. Behind his cold glare I could see him hiding his worry, his eyes staring directly into mine.

"I'm sorry," He grunted, adverting his gaze to the other side of the room.

"I'm sorry?" I questioned, not sure if I heard him correctly.

"I'm sorry," He repeated in the same tone.

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped in disbelief. Did the big, bad Alpha just say sorry?! Sure I deserve a sorry, actually more than that. I still just can't believe he actually said it though, that's the last thing I was expecting to come out of his mouth.

"Why now?" I asked, blinking back the tears in my eyes and hardening my gaze.

"What do you mean?" He shot back, turning his cold glare back to me.

"You locked me in a room and treated me like a prisoner for God only knows how long! Now you come in here and say sorry?! Well as shocking as that is; it's not going to cut it. You can't just treat me like crap and expect it all to go away by two little words!" I shouted, crossing my arms over my chest, giving him a hateful look to confirm my pissed off mood.

"Look, I didn't have to say any-" He started, but a cough from the other side of the room cut him off.

I turned my head to find the source of that cough. At the entrance stood a short, dark figure. I couldn't make anything out about the person, only the fact that they must have some control over Xavier, but who the hell can control that monster? He's mean, arrogant and is more than happy to leave his mate to rot. So why would he let someone help him out on being the good guy?

"-I mean, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left you down here and I want to make it up to you," He huffed, not at all liking the words leaving his lips.

"You what?!" I shouted in astonishment.

"Roxie, please don't make this harder than it has to be," He begged, his eyes and facial features softening.

Can I really take his word? Can I trust a man who I know nothing about, yet didn't stop at locking me up? Who is that person he's with anyway? Why are they here and why is he letting them control him? He doesn't look like he's liking this apology of his, so it has to mean he's trying... But what's he trying at?

"Make it up to me how?" I asked, narrowing my eyes and being careful not to play myself into a possible trap of his.

"Anything you want," He blurted out; probably hoping to get this all over with as quick as possible.

"I want to go home," I stated coldly.

"Well you can't do that, pick something else," He answered in a 'don't push your luck' tone of voice.

I lowered my head, frowning to myself about how unfair this all is. One second the man's a jerk and the next he's being all nice. I wish he could just pick a mood and stick to it. But then again, I don't even think he knows what mood belongs to his true character. He switches his attitude so much that I can't even begin to put a finger on who this guy really is. Everything about him screams asshole, but right now he's showing me a side that says otherwise. I honestly have no idea what to believe anymore.

I want to go home, but that's obviously not going to happen. Honestly, I'm just tired and worn out. My back hurts, I haven't been eating right and I'm in desperate need of a shower. Right now all I want is some food, a bed and a nice, warm bath.

"Can I just leave this place?" I asked in a soft voice with my head still lowered to the ground.

"Roxie, I was going to do that anyway," Xavier stated, crouching down to the ground to be eye level with me on the bench.

He brought his hand up to my chin, those electrifying tingles shooting through my body. My eyes fell upon his bright blue ones, melting my heart and heating my core. I gave him a sad, defeated look and that was all it took for him to know I'm tired of all the games.

He stood up and picked my body up off the bench. I laid in his arms, resting my head against his chest and just allowing him to take me away from this horrible place. He carried me bridal style out of the room and past the dark figure standing near the door. I never got a chance to make out who they are, probably because I was drifting off into a deep sleep from being held so close in Xavier's arms.

I felt so relaxed, calmed and at ease just by having my body pressed against his. I let my eyes shut and my mind wander. I can at least trust that he's taking me somewhere better. That cell was already his worst punishment for people, where else could he take me?

I'm just going to allow myself the little bit of sleep I desperately need and not worry about anything else. I've been working myself up too much lately and right now all I need to do is relax. What that man told me about Xavier rejecting me has to be a lie. I think all in all, he just needed some time to come to terms with me being his mate. He's lucky though, because if I wasn't so used to being locked up all the time; I'd be kicking his ass right now.

I slowly drifted off further and further into my mind, sleep was overcoming me hard and fast. The steady heartbeat coming from Xavier's chest was like the perfect lullaby to my ears. It wasn't long until I slipped into unconsciousness and sleep finally took over.

'All the bad is over, nothing worse can happen.' I repeated to myself over and over again in my mind. It seemed to be the only thing keeping me collected at the moment.