Chapter Six: Meeting Some Of The Pack

I stayed put in the room, afraid to go anywhere else and encounter strange and unfriendly people. I can't believe Xavier just left like that, did I do something wrong? He's been gone for so long and I don't know if I should go search for him, or just hang out in here until he comes looking for me.

It took me some time to calm down after everything that happened between us. I can't help but feel guilty; almost like it was all my fault he reacted that way. I'm just not ready to go that far with someone; mate or not. Xavier's voice keeps replaying in my mind. Every time I shut my eyes, he's there in my head. All I see are his beautiful blue eyes gazing lovingly into mine, then switching back and forth to something entirely different. I need to see him, I need him to come back for me! I can't sit here and wait any longer. I can't just wait to see if he hates me or not; it's eating at me too much!

"I'm sorry Madam, I didn't see you," A voice called from the other side of the room.

I jumped to my feet by the sudden entrance. Over by the door stood a short, tiny figured brunette. Her head was bowed to me and I couldn't be more confused by the way she's acting. I'm the one walking into her territory, so why is she bowing to me? Shouldn't I bow to her or apologize for being in her way?

I looked her up and down; her clothes looked dirty, worn out and had tons of rips. She wore a light brown dress with a pair of brown flats. One look at her clothes and I didn't need a second opinion to tell me she's poor. That's probably why she's acting this way towards me. I may not be royal here, but I do have Alpha blood.

"You're okay, I'm sorry for being in your way," I smile to her lightly, hoping she would get the picture that I'm not here to give her a hard time.

"Oh," She raised her head, presenting her wide white eyes full of shock. "T-thank you, Madam," She stuttered, probably not used to being shown respect.

I nodded my head, but didn't let her continue on her way just yet. "Um, excuse me. If you don't mind my asking, why are your eyes that brilliant shade of white?" I questioned, squinting at her to get a better look.

She gave a sheepish smile before dropping her head back to the ground and playing with the skirt of her dress. "Sorry, Madam, they change on their own with my emotions. I normally keep my head down so that I don't disturb people with them," She informed me with a voice full of guilt; almost as if she just committed the worst crime imaginable.

Hearing the guilt in her voice over something so nontrivial like her eye color made me burst into laughter. "You're kidding right?" She raised her head, flashing me a cloudy pair of grey eyes; probably expressing her confusion.

"Don't apologize for something you were born with. I think it's cool! I wish my eyes would change colors," I admitted and that made her join me in sharing a laugh.

Her eyes then proceeded to turned blue, showing her happiness that this moment. "You're so kind. If you don't mind my asking, Madam; why are you here?" She whispered, afraid to ask her question in a louder voice.

I shrugged my shoulders, giving her a small smile. "No idea, I was kind of brought here and left in this room. Also please call me Roxie, I'm too young to be a Madam," I added on the end and her face lit up at that comment.

"I'm Lady Rowena," She smile, moving closer with an open hand for me to shake.

I wrapped my finger around her and shook her hand, smiling at the new friend I just made. "Nice to meet you," I answered politely.

"Same to you, Mad- I mean, Roxie," She smiled sheepishly and I just waved it off. "So can I help you out with finding your way around?" She questioned in a soft tone.

"That would be lovely, thank you," I smiled, following her lead out into the hall.

I have no idea why, but being around Rowena makes me all polite. I feel like she acts with so much kindness that I can't talk without proper words and sayings. I know it's silly, but everything about her makes you want to act that way. She's so sweet and innocent and I never knew Xavier had servants in his pack. Derrek never believed in keeping people to do work like their some stupid lap dog, he always said everyone is equal in a pack. I need to speak with Xavier about this though before I jump to a conclusion, if I've learned anything in my days; it's never to do that.

Rowena stopped walking to turn around slightly enough for her head to face mine. "Um, can I ask you who brought you here?" She asked, slowing down her already sluggish pace.

I shrugged my shoulders to her. Truthfully, I don't know exactly who brought me here, just that his name is Jared. I doubt he's part of the pack by the way Xavier treated him back there, so he could be anyone. I guess I'm really only here for my mate, but do I tell her that? I feel like I should talk this over with Xavier before I say anything to anyone. The last thing I want to do after Xavier's episode back in that room, is make things worse.

"You know, I'm really just here to discuss something with your Alpha," I answered, half lying to the poor girl.

Rowena didn't question or press for more, she simply just nodded her head in understanding and continued on. As we walked through the halls, I noticed some people from before. Similar girls with their dirty looks glared at me even more and I honestly don't get what the big deal is. Guys stared after me and some even gave me some waves or winks; which made me blush like crazy.

"Hey," A man's voice called to me, walking over across the hall to lean on the wall next to where I stopped.

"Hi," I smiled politely at him, secretly screaming on the inside for openly talking to a male.

"I'm Leo," He smiled brightly to me, running a hand through his already messy medium brown hair.

"R-Roxie," I stuttered, getting slightly lost in his sparkling green eyes.

"Such a beautiful name, perfect for a girl like you," He winked playfully and I couldn't help but blush by his words. "So what brings you here?" He wondered.

"Just passing through," I shrugged, hoping he would buy it and not press me further.

"Well don't pass through too quickly," He laughed, flashing me a pearly white smile. "I'll see you around."

I nodded my head, watching him kick off the wall and continue down the hall. I've never talked to a guy before like that. I think he was flirting with me, but then again, why would he do that? I completely forgot about Rowena and everyone else for that matter, my brain becoming mush by the scene that just took place. It wasn't until Rowena cleared her throat that I was pulled out of my thoughts and back into reality.

"Sorry," I muttered, dropping my head in shame.

I didn't need to look at Rowena to know my actions caused her so much confusion. "Um, where did you say you're from?" She questioned, not understanding why I act the way I do towards her.

I picked up my head and laughed at her cloudy grey eyes matching perfectly with her bewildered stare. Shaking it off, I gave another shrug and brushed off yet another question. I motioned for her to continue on her tour, hoping that we could just move past getting to know me. She didn't press, instead she accepted my silence and proceeded to show me what she could.

I followed happily behind Rowena, wandering around and not paying attention to anything she was saying or showing me. The only thing I have on my mind right now is freedom. I'm seriously out, I can talk to boys, I can do what I want and not have to feel guilt all the time. I'm finally a free woman! It's been so long since I've felt this happy and I can't hold back the joy that's overwhelming me right now.

It's not like I want to become a slut and flirt with boys or anything. I just want them as my friends, because all I want and need is my mate for love. I can just tell that having a mate is going to be the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm not interested in Leo, or any other guy for that matter, but I do like the feeling of knowing I can at least talk to them and not start World War 3.

This is so amazing!

"This place is huge!" I exclaimed, my voice echoing down the hallway.

Rowena laughed a little by my reaction to the giant house. "Well our Alpha likes things to be big, 'the bigger the better and only the best' is the motto he lives by," She shrugged.

"Wait, he actually says that?" I asked, shocked by the fact someone would be so materialistic to think like that.

"Oh yes, the Alpha loves his power and the things that come with it, but what Alpha doesn't?" She laughed, but I just stood there confused, not at all understanding the joke.

"Yeah..." I trailed off, not exactly sure how to respond to her.

"ROWENA!" A voice shouted from down the hall.

I turned my head to see a furious blond stomping our way. Her hazel eyes showed pure rage, along with her bright red face of anger. She made a beeline for us, hurrying to be by Rowena's side and pushing me out of the way to do so. I stumbled back from her push, collapsing onto the ground and hitting my head on the wall. I rubbed away the slight pain, but quickly focused my attention back to the pissed off chick.

"Would you like to tell me why my things were moved?!" She screamed in Rowena's face.

"Madam, I was only following my orders," Rowena answered in a shaky voice.

"No, the Alpha has lost his mind! Put my things back before I rip your head off!" She ordered, giving Rowena a push to show dominance.

"Excuse me," I jumped up to my feet, glaring at the girl bossing around my new friend. "What in the hell do you think you're doing?!"

She turned around slowly, her eyes scanning my body from head to toe before speaking. "Are you some slut someone picked up from the woods?" She questioned, chuckling to herself.

So I guess my outfit choice for running away is not a great one. I'll have to remember that the next time I want to 'break free', I should really pack a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt.

"Who do you think you are?!" I questioned her, taking a step in her direction and growing angrier by the second.

"Listen you little slut, fucking back the hell off before I personally see to it that you die. You have no fucking idea who the hell it is you're talking to. I am to be Luna of this pack and if you can't obey me, then I'll destroy you." She smiled mischievously, amused by her own words.

It was strange; I wasn't taken back by her comment at all. Surprisingly, I found myself laughing at her instead. "Seriously? You're the one he dumped?!" I asked, laughing even harder by the look of shock that flashed across her smug face.

Her eyes narrowed in on mine and her lips formed a straight line as she struggled to hold back her anger. "Watch it, little girl," She growled lowly.

"Rox-" Rowena tried to talk, but I put up a hand to stop her words.

I know exactly how to deal with this chick; she needs to learn that Xavier is mine. I will not be treated this way and I'm sure that if Xavier was here; he would make her pay for her words. "Pull your head out of your ass and look around you. He left you and can you blame him? Look at yourself! You're a selfish, self centered, arrogant asshole!" I shouted, making my point more than clear.

"You obviously don't know our Alpha then, because you just described him. That in turn means that I'm the perfect girl for him," She smiled again, trying her hardest not to let my words get to her.

"Xavier is my mate, meaning that I'm the one who's perfect for him. You have to be insane to think that you ever had a shot with him," I hissed to her. 

My wolf was grumbling inside of me and I couldn't understand why. I know she's protective over her mate, but she never comes out this much. Usually my wolf tends to keep to herself, beings that I never try to get in touch with her. Derrek always taught me to push her aside and ignore the feelings she forces on me, because they're dangerous.

The girls high pitched laughing brought me from my thoughts and back to the scene before me. "Xavier is your mate," She stated, falling into a set of hysterical giggles. "I never thought I'd see the day! Well it was nice knowing you, sweetheart. I'll see you around," She chuckled, pushing past me to move on with her way down the hall.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I called after her, wanting nothing more than to know the meaning of all of this.

"The Alpha doesn't do mates, little girl. I suggest you go back to the pack you came from, because he would never want to be with you," She stated before turning back around and disappearing around a corner.

I knew Rowena would have a million and one question for me about why I never told who my mate is, but it didn't matter. All I could focus on is the fact that, that girl could be onto something. I saw those conflicted feelings Xavier was giving off towards me. He doesn't want me; Xavier hates mates.

She has to be lying. Can I really trust a girl who wants my mate all to herself? I want so badly not to believe her and not let her words affect me, but they do! It doesn't take a genius to see when you're not welcome, and Xavier made it more than clear back in that room.

I just hope that he can push past this with me and accept me as his mate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Picture of Leo to the right)