Chapter Seven: Learning Who You Really Are

(Photo of Rowena to the right.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Seven: Learning Who You Really Are

"Roxie, is it true then? Did Alpha Daniels leave Miss Summers for you; his mate?" Rowena questioned me with confused, grey eyes.

"Miss Summers?" I retorted, not at all recognizing the name.

"Julie Summers, Alpha Daniels ex-fiance... The girl you just told off?" She asked, looking at me with a puzzled stare.

"Oh, that's her name? Well I've only ever heard of her, but I guess it makes sense..." I trailed off.

"Makes sense?" Rowena pressed, not liking my vague attitude.

I shrugged my shoulders, not really liking the idea of going into details with her. "I don't know, it's just that with her kind of personality it's more than obvious why your Alpha left her."

I know that Xavier and I aren't in the best of places, but that chick is crazy! She got all worked up over the fact her Alpha found his mate. I know some people treasure power and all that, but to me it seems like a complete waste of time.

Rowena's mouth dropped open at my words. Her eyes flickered to a pale shade of white, practically bugging out of her head. "Roxie, you have no idea what the Alpha is like," She warned.

"Why does everyone keep saying that?!" I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air with frustration.

"It's because you don't know him. He may be your mate, but the man is a terrible person," She stated with a frown.

"Well from what I've seen of him, he seems nice," I answered, shaking my head at the thought of him being bad.

I mean I did in fact see him beat up Jared, but he had that coming. Also there was that time when he and my brother went at it, but again- he had it coming. Every time I'm with Xavier he seems like an okay guy, not at all like what everyone's making him out to be like. I mean he hasn't done anything to harm me. It seems like Xavier is just having a hard time processing having a mate; he really just seems like a misunderstood kind of guy.

"Roxie, answer me!" Rowena begged, pulling me from my thoughts.

"What?" I questioned, not being able to recall her question to me.

"I asked you how you met the Alpha." She answered, trying her hardest to hold back the clear annoyance in her tone.

"O-oh," I stuttered. "Well, um he... Who?" I asked, pretending to be confused.

"Never mind," Rowena shook her head. "Lets continue on the tour?" She urged, trying to move on and away from this conversation.

"Okay!" I smiled brightly, more than loving the idea of dropping this.

I followed Rowena down some halls and throughout the house. It really is a work of art, everything in here is so exquisite. Xavier must really love to have the finer things in life; maybe I don't know him like I think I do. Well then again, I can't judge the man on his items, so I should just wait to talk to him some more; right?

I was looking at an odd painting of some half dressed women when I felt it. The pull I get whenever one person in particular is around; the only person who can send my body into overdrive- my mate.

"Are you okay?" Rowena asked me as I leaned against a nearby wall for support.

My body felt defeated, weak and began to go crazy just by the sense of his presence nearby. My heart sped up and my hands got sweaty as beautiful thoughts of Xavier flooded my mind. I slid down the wall and rested when I reached the ground. I dropped my head to my knees and wrapped my arm around them to hold it in place.

Rowena saw this and must have thought I was about to be sick or something because she kept asking me if something was wrong. She was quick to shut up though as footsteps from down the hall made their way over to us. They were quick, loud and very noticeable. Everything inside of me started to go off more and more, making me explode with pleasure as he neared.

"What are you doing here, Rowena?" Xavier's husky voice asked from the other side of the hall as he made his way over to us.

"I-I was s-showing Roxie around," Rowena explain with a stutter; the fear clear as day in her bright green eyes.

"I can do that; carry on with your chores," He demanded in a harsh tone.

My head shot up from my knees where they were resting. I looked at him with puzzled eyes, wondering how he can talk to her with such a hard voice. Rowena was only trying to help me out by giving me a tour, he has no right to be angry with her.

"X-Xavier," I called to him in an uneven tone.

Rowena's eyes got wide by hearing the use of his first name. She shot me a warning look to inform me not to address him like that. I should think it's okay to talk to my mate with the use of his first name. Why would I call him Alpha Daniels? That would just be weird.

A low growl escaped Xavier's cheat. "Rowena, leave us," He ordered to her.

Rowena, being the chicken that she is, left immediately after his command was given. I stayed put on the ground though as he stalked closer. All the feelings of happiness of him being here were quick to fade as he spoke the worst words imaginable to me.

"I am Alpha Daniels to you and everyone else," He barked, making me flinch a little at his words.

"What?!" I shouted, both enraged and shocked by his comment towards me.

I stood up from the ground, moving to be face to face with my mate. He's crazy if he thinks I'm below him. I have Alpha blood in me as well; what makes him think I'm someone to be talked down to? As much as I want to listen to him and understand that we haven't known each other long enough to be on first name basis, I wasn't about to let it slide. I let my brother boss me around for years and I'm not about to allow more rules on me, or let him be right.

"No," I stated coldly, crossing my arms over my chest in attempt to stand my ground.

It didn't take him long to respond to my words, because in the next second I was pinned against the wall. He held me up with his arm, pressing it into my neck. He didn't cut off my air supply, he just made it clear that he could if he wanted and he isn't to be defied or messed with.

"Listen, Roxie, we need to clear some things up," He spoke in a threatening tone. "You will call me Alpha Daniels, unless directed otherwise. You will also stay away from anyone I do not approve of and Rowena is someone I don't see fit. I can add to these list of rules whenever I want and if you have a problem with that, then that's just too damn bad. You're mine now, I do not accept anything less than the best."

My eyes widened as I took in everything he had to say to me. How can he talk down to me like he's some kind of God? He can't really expect me to follow those rules, can he?! I'm tired of being the girl who gets pushed around; I need to set my own rules for once. I can't allow him to think it's okay to treat me like this, I'll leave if he can't respect me.

"No," I hissed.

"No?" He questioned with dagger eyes, daring me to repeat myself.

"No," I repeated, hardening my voice. "I'm sick and tired of taking shit from everyone! I am not below you, you and I are no different from one another. I know you have some hatred for mates, but that gives you no right to boss me around!" I screamed, making my point more than clear to him.

He pressed his arm against me harder and I ignored the stupid tingles it gave my body. "Watch how you talk to your Alpha," He warned.

"My Alpha?" I questioned, my mouth dropping in disbelief. "You are not my anything! If you're going to treat me like this, I'm leaving!" I spat, more than outraged by his level of disrespect for me.

"You will do no such thing!" He growled.

I wanted nothing more than to have a mate who would love me, but Xavier is insane! I thought everyone was kidding when they said he would act like this. How can he throw those rules at me and expect me to comply without having anything to say to him about it? I need to go home. A part of me wants to die at the thought of my mate treating me like crap. I don't think I can put up with him- Derrek was right.

Before I could respond, he released his grip on me and flung my body over his shoulder. He began marching down the hall, making his way to another room. I struggled against his grip, but he only tightened it around my waist. I hate that everyone is always so much stronger than me; it just isn't fair. I hate being picked up and forced to do what everyone else tells me. I hate everyone who thinks they can walk all over me, and 'Alpha Daniels' here just made that list.

"Let me go!" I shouted, gaining the attention of some unwanted people.

"Advert our gaze," Xavier growled and it didn't take another order for everyone to look away instantly.

We rounded a few corners and went down a flight of stairs, headed in the direction of some off the coast room. Seriously, how many times do I need to be locked up until I can finally just be free?! Xavier, Lance, Derrek, they're all the same! I'm the only person who has authority over what I say and do, so why the hell does everyone else keep butting in all the time?!

"You will stay in here until you've learned your lesson," Xavier demanded, gently placing me on the floor.

He walked away and I heard the slamming of a cell before the lights flickered on. I scanned the room around me and noticed he had put me in a prison cell! Of all places he could lock me away, he actually chooses to lock me away. This is by far the worst spot I've been forced to sit in before; I hate him! Screw the whole mate love thing, I'm so over that. Derrek's right, I couldn't have been wrong about how this would go.

"You can't leave me in here! My brother will find me!" I called out, hoping Xavier would hear me before he gets too far away and out of hearing range.

He must of heard the comment, because in the next moment his voice was filling the room without him being at all in sight. "I'm counting on it," He laughed, his voice fading and me collapsing against the cold, hard, cement floor.

How could I be so stupid? I hate him for being a jerk, I hate Derrek for being right and I hate EVERYONE for bossing me around! I give up; no more running away. I'm done with trying to escape my problems, they only get worst when I do. Derrek better get here quick, because I don't know how much longer I can take it being in here with such a horrible man for a mate.

I really thought he was a good guy too. I guess that's the difference between him and me; I know how to treat people and he just thinks anything he says goes.

I've learned who he really is and I want nothing more to do with him.