Chapter Seventeen: A Side You've Never Seen

"I love you," I sighed into Xavier's chest as he embraced me in a drawn out hug. 

"I love you too," He whispered in my ear, sending a tingly shiver down my spine. 

It felt so right to be here in his arms. I love the feel of holding him close, surrounded by his scent and knowing he's mine to keep forever. Our bodies fit together so perfectly that it was more than obvious I belonged in his arms and he belonged in mine. 

"Xav, I don't want to lose you again," I told him honestly. 

"I'm yours forever, Roxie. As long as you want me around, I'll always be there," He answered softly and it made me sigh in content. 

My body relaxed into his more as I quickly began to feel tired. I couldn't understand my sudden loss of energy, but as long as I was in his arms, I didn't care. I finally felt complete. My whole life there was a piece of me missing and I knew that piece was him. I needed him by my side forever; there was no denying the pain that would follow his departure. 

"Stay awake," Xavier whispered. His voice was pleading and I couldn't understand why. 

"But I'm so tired," I stated as I shut my heavy eyelids and snuggled further into his chest. 

"Roxie, I need you to do this for me," He begged, once again confusing me. 

"I'll just take a nap," I suggested with a small yawn. 

"Please, there's so much blood," He replied in a vague, hushed voice. 

Blood? If I thought I had no idea what he was talking about before, that comment just sent me overboard. Since when was falling asleep a bad thing? And when did blood get involved in this?  

I was just about to open my mouth to ask him what he meant by that, but I stopped when it hit me. Fresh, lingering in the air, was the scent of blood. My blood. I gasped at the sudden realization of the reason behind why he's acting like this. I'm bleeding. Somewhere on my body is an open wound. I didn't know where, but it didn't matter at this point. He was afraid that if I fell alseep, I wouldn't wake up from loss of blood. 

"I'm so cold," I whispered to him in a faint voice. 

"I know you are, Roxie. You have to stay awake for me though, okay?" He urged me, but as much as I wanted to listen, I'm not sure I could. 

"I'll wake up," I assured him. "Just a quick nap to regain my strength." 

I leaned all my weight on Xavier, knowing he would support my body and he did. I let my mind wander a bit and found myself slowly fading into a sleep-state. I wanted to stay awake, but I knew I would wake up. I wasn't in pain, which could only mean the wound isn't that bad. 

"ROXIE!" Xavier shouted as his grip on me tightened. His voice sounded stained, like he was feeling the worst pain in the world. 

"Just a quick nap," I repeated, letting my mind take that final slip into a blissful unconsciousness. 

Before I was fully out of it, I heard Xavier screaming my name louder than before. He was shaking my body; gripping me by the arms and begging for me to awaken. It was too late though, I had already slipped too far away to come back. I knew I would wake up; resting was going to make me better in no time.