Keeping the Pieces Together

Emma's POV

The phone was still against my ear, and soon the line cut off. My mother probably knew I didn't want to say anything at the moment. The truth was, there was so much I wanted to do I didn't have time to do it.
I wanted to scream, cry or even punch a wall. But all I did was stay still, staring into blank space as my hand calmly placed the cell down.
My eyes were glued to the table, this wasn't happening. He wasn't dead.
Because that would mean he wouldn't be here for me. He's my dad, he can't be gone, it's not real.

"Emma? What did your mother say?"

I ignored him, all I did was stare and let the weight sink onto my chest, letting it crush me.
I felt a million things at the moment, but I also felt numb. My muscles unmovable - all I heard was my heart pounding and the surrounding noise.

"Emma." Killian tried again.

My gaze darted to his, tears pooling in my eyes but my face remained emotionless, "He's gone. My dad."

"What..?" His voice was soft, and he stood up kneeling down besides me, "What the bloody hell happened?"

I shook my head and opened my mouth, but I didn't know what to say because I didn't know what happened.

"Take me home." I said instead.

He didn't protest, he knew better. He drove me back to our apartment and I stormed into my room, yanking open a drawer as he stood in the doorway and watched, "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to Boston." I took out a folder that had everything I needed. Our passports, travel papers, the money for the trip that was supposed to take place during Christmas.

"You can't go to Boston. You can't just leave." He came closer to me as I dropped the files on my bed and pulled out a suitcase from under it, throwing the lid back then I began throwing clothes in.

"Emma," He put his hands on my shoulders and forced me to face him, "Think before you do this."

I lashed out, "This is my father! Alright? This is my fucking father! And not you or anyone is going to keep me from going because my family needs me right now and I need them. So you can either let me go or-"

"Hey shh." He cut me off and wrapped his arms around me tightly, holding me securely. Somehow, it felt like was on the verge of breaking and he was keeping the pieces together.

"I have to go." I muttered, sealing my eyes to keep the tears at bay.

"Then I'm coming with you. There's no way I'm leaving you alone."

"No." She stepped back from his embrace, "No. You're staying you have more important things going on here."

"You know better than anyone else that nothing else matters more to me than you." He looked into my eyes, and I tried my best to not break down right then and there.

I swallowed, "Then go pack."

"Listen to me," He cupped her cheeks and stared at her, "I'll go get the tickets for the earliest flight, you stay here. I know you probably need some alone time right now to do what you usually do."

He raised an eyebrow in question waiting for my response. I nodded and he squeezed my hand, he started to walk away. Before his touch faded from mine I pulled him back, his body crashing against mine as I slammed my lips on his. I poured everything into the kiss, my anger, my sorrow. I kissed him hard enough to bruise, our lips interlacing together while I thread my fingers through his hair, tugging on the strands and biting his lower lip.
Maybe this was my new way to cope with hurtful things.

He moaned, "Emma." And pulled back, "We've only had one date, and you're sad. It's not the way."

"I know. I'm sorry just go, and hurry back." I sighed licking my lips and plopped down on the bed, watching him take the file then disappear through my bedroom door.

My thoughts began running again. Who will give me the cold hard truth when my mother is being too naive? Who will hold me when I feel let down? Who will walk me down the aisle? No one, the only person suited to do that slipped away from me. There was no brining him back, and that made a knot build in my throat that threatened me to cry.

But I didn't, because I was thinking about myself. God my mother must be so heartbroken right now, and my brother, he's only five years old. He's not going to have a role model growing up - a father.

Not able to contain it much longer, I got up, got the nearest thing which was an empty glass that was left on my nightstand days ago, and I smashed it against the wall with my hand, my skin holding the broken glass against the wall.
I was trying to relieve my anger, but it only got me a nasty cut across my palm. My hand had a shard of glass stuck in it now, blood trickling down the surrounding skin.

That's when I didn't hold it in anymore, I pulled out the piece of broken off crystal and tossed it aside, sinking to my knees and curling up on the floor. Finally letting the tears leave my eyes, not because of the pain shooting through my hand - but because the man who has loved me and cared for me throughout everything was gone. And I didn't know what to do.
So I just cried.

-
Short chapter for what I normally ride but this is all I have for now :\
Vote & Comment!