Hospital

Of course she stayed with him. She'd be a fool not to. Liam stayed as well, since he was the only living relative left of Killian's and it was his brother.

He was on heavy medication, and he fell asleep shortly after she first saw him. Afterward she just sat on one of the chairs positioned at corner of the room and watched him and the monitors. Making sure his heart rate and everything else was fine.

The various courses she was taking in order to become an Immunologist had given her a fair share of knowledge about diseases and hospital machines, so she knew how to read all of the things on the monitors that would look like squiggly lines to untrained people.

At one point, he groaned and stirred in bed and she jolted up from her seat, went over and scanned her eyes over him to make sure he was fine.
He was.
She was worrying way too much.

When night came about, she scooted her chair right next to his bed and laid her head on the mattress so she'd be at least a little comfortable.

Eventually she drifted to sleep, her dreams non-existent. Nothing but blackness. Those were the best nights.

She was awakened a few hours later, somewhere around 3:04 am, when his hand moved to hers that was resting against the sheets. She was usually a heavy sleeper, but she felt the need to be at attention if anything happened. So that small, brief touch roused her.

"Sorry to wake you." He whispered and looked at her through the darkness. The room had no lights on, Liam was snoring softly on the other side. The only thing illuminating the space was the soft glow of a night lamp the bedside table.

"It's fine." She licked her dry lips and smiled softly, "Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"Alright, I guess." He removed his hand from hers once he realized it was still there.

"Doctor said he'll come around in the morning and give you pain medication." She informed and leaned her head on the palm of her hand.

He nodded then looked down, "Listen, I'm sorry about the other day, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't apologize. It was pretty much my fault anyways." She quickly switched the topic, "You just had surgery, rest might not be a bad idea."

"Right..."

"I'll be right here next to you if you need anything. Anything. Okay?"

"Okay." He sighed and shifted slowly, not moving too much so the stitches wouldn't rip, "Goodnight."

"Night." She said softly and watched as his bright blue eyes disappeared beneath his lids.

Then soon after, her head was on the bed and once again she was surrounded by blissful sleep.

-

A few weeks went on by, and Killian was let out of the hospital. The doctor explained that he still needed to be careful because of his stitches and that he needed someone with him all of the time. Liam was going to offer, but Emma beat him to it. Maybe this was her way back into that cozy apartment. Along those weeks they spent at the hospital, Emma was always there when she could. She'd usually visit him early in the morning, head to school, then go back after her classes and spend the day with him.

Dr. John also informed them that he needed someone to help him sit down, stand up, shower, and that he'll most likely go home in a wheel chair until those stitches were out.
Emma understood, of course, stomach surgery was huge deal and he wouldn't be able support his own body for a couple more weeks at the most.

The surgeon also let him know to eat light meals, nothing too over exaggerated or a buffet of steak. Things like soups, pasta, only soft foods.

After listening carefully to every word and agreeing to all of the special little instructions, she took him home in Ruby's car since his wouldn't be ready to be driven for a while.

Once there she helped him out of the wheelchair and sit comfortably on the memory foam couch. The fabric adjusted perfectly to his every curve, "Thanks."

"You're welcome." She smiled slightly and went to her room to change, throwing on a t-shirt and black sweats quickly before going to the kitchen and begging to cook some chicken soup.
The best medicine.

"I'm glad you're moving back here." He said after a few minutes of silence.

"You're just glad because you need someone to wipe your ass." She grinned and turned on the stove.

He rolled his eyes with a soft smile and leaned back, "It's just got lonely around here."

"Well, you're not alone anymore. And do you want to tell me how that accident happened?" She went over to the couch and sat beside him, turning her full attention to him.

"It just happened." He shrugged lightly.

"I know there's more to it, come on." She encouraged and looked at him.

"Fine." He sighed, "I looked down for second at my phone and the last thing I remember is car lights shining brighter than the sun."

She frowned and crossed her legs, "I'm really glad you're okay though, I almost broke down when I got the news. I didn't want to leave things the way I did between us."

"If it helps, you're the last thing I thought about before I blacked out." He smiled sheepishly at her.

A light blush crept up her cheeks and she smiled looking at the blank TV, "Lies."

"No, I'm serious. The day of my birthday, when you woke me up by spraying whipped cream on my face. That's what I thought of."

She laughed, remembering that day as if it had happened yesterday, "You were so pissed at me."

"But we laugh about it now." He grinned.

"Yeah. Those were good times."

"Well, your birthday's in four months. I'll get that whipped cream ready." He gave her a flirty look.

She blushed redder and laughed rubbing her palms against her crimson cheeks, "You're so dirty."

"Says the girl who I caught hand-cuffed up to the bed in a lingerie after some guy tied her up and left." He teased.

"Shut up!" She slapped his arm playfully and got up going back to the kitchen. Stirring the soup.

They both are dinner together and went to bed in the same building that night, both feeling safe.

-
Hope you enjoyed this chapter! 💗