28: New Adventures...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/d1/ea/02d1eaafe7bfcf670732c777491f63f3.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

I snuggled further into the warmth of the mattress, cracking an eye open to determine that the threat of sunlight was holding off for at least another hour. I turned over, incapable of holding back a smile when I landed on a firm chest. The movement seemed to wake Klaus as he was just on the verge of falling asleep himself. "Sorry," I whispered into the room's darkness.

His smile was sleepy and movements sluggish as he wrapped an arm around my waist, tugging me closer and nuzzling into the crook of my neck. "Don't apologize, love." His breath trailed goosebumps along my skin, "Gave me an excuse to hold you."

I grinned up into the black mass that was his bedroom, "Like you need an excuse to touch me at this point(!)"

His whole body shook with a chuckle, "Still," he shrugged, voice murmuring when his mind grew as tired as his body. His hold seemed to tighten, "Feels nice to play along from time to time, little wolf..."

I thought I'd only blinked, the rising sun stabbing my cornea proving I'd actually passed out. During the little sleep I'd managed, Klaus and I had unfurled; the Original having shifted onto his stomach and facing away from me, arms neatly tucked beneath his pillow--All while I shuffled to the edge of the bed, body forming the fetal position as I clung onto the mattress edge with an iron-like grip.

I relaxed my fingers, rolling onto my back and staring up at the ceiling...This was an end to our games, whether or not he was aware of it shouldn't matter, should it? I mean, he's made me feel happy and giddy and given me the opportunity to fall in love all over again. Sure, maybe I'm running away from getting my heart ripped out by leaving with Hayley tonight, maybe I don't want to entertain the most unpredictable man in this universe for fear of being broken beyond repair this time around. Maybe this flash of selfishness is really stemming from the fear of settling down in a small town only for everyone to leave me behind; start a family, get married, begin a career. Maybe I'm terrified I won't fit into all of that and that's why I'm really heading for the hills now an opportunity has presented itself--

I blurred as quickly as my enhanced speed would allow, tugging on one of Klaus' shirts and a pair of jeans, staring wistfully after my shredded dress from last night. I reached for the bedroom door handle, pausing in my attempt of never looking back when the bed grumbled sleepily.

The least he deserved was a proper goodbye, and hopefully he could get over the fact that it wasn't face to face.

I crept toward his writing desk in the corner of the room, glancing back every now and then to ensure he was still asleep before folding over the piece of paper and stopping at his side of the bed;