24: The Cure

https://miro.medium.com/max/536/1*J_QU2EQa-NHiHqjscNEImw.gif.

We paused at another junction of dark and craggy paths, my breath stuttering when I turned to debate our options

We paused at another junction of dark and craggy paths, my breath stuttering when I turned to debate our options. My bottom lip quivered, "This is the way."

Damon didn't miss the clench of my jaw as I held back tears, "How do you know?"

"I just know," I didn't really realize I'd reached for his hand, craved the comfort of a familiar touch until the chilling grip of my vampire secured around my own. He allowed me to lead us forward, walking straight through an illusion of my late father and forcing my heart to clench with the pain of watching him vanish.

The damp cave holding our immortality ending prize wasn't anything to write home about. It was cold, cramped, and only differentiated from all the tunnels we'd traversed down by holding a sleeping immortal between its walls. "That's it?" Damon's eyes found the grey box that a desiccating immortal was clinging to. "All of this effort and that's what we came for?"

"Yup," I popped the 'p', dropping my backpack at his feet before approaching the body. I blinked away my humanity, not wasting time before I reached forward and tore the cure from the immortal's grip--his hands refusing to leave the box.

"Angel," Damon's tone was overwhelmed by caution as I shook the box, only pausing when the desiccated limbs fell to the floor.

"Relax, Salvatore..." I cooed, eyes blinking away the remnants of my enhanced abilities. I opened the box and caught the red vial in a gentle grip. "He's practically a statue--See?" I knocked on the immortal's chest, three hard thumps echoing. "Not a threat."

"But he's had some of your blood," the vampire pointed out. "Which means he's got a direct link to your brain, he can make you see whatever he wants."

My eyes rolled, knees bending as my hands searched the small pocket at the base of my backpack. "And do you honestly think I'm dumb enough to be tricked by this douche?"

"I think he's old enough to be better at it than anyone else you've faced."

"Jackpot!" I grinned in success, eyes trailing up to find Damon's before I rose to meet his shoulder. "It's that negativity that keeps you in the dark for most of my plans--"

I raised a brow when his hand caught my wrist, effectively pressing pause on my scheme. "I know you're strong, and I know you're all-knowing." I struggled not to smile at his exasperated roll of the eyes. "But that doesn't mean that when we come up against big shit that I'll ever stop worrying about you..."

I finally let my gratitude pinch a smile into my cheeks, "If you're trying to make me fall in love with you--"

"Angel," he pressed.