4: Numb

https://blog.kakaocdn.net/dn/oDw3x/btqAYH5Lf0X/ZtOmZifjp5uX0rzvwr2YPK/img.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

After spending half the night wallowing in self-pity and crying all the truths that were spinning my brain into Gloria's side, I finally passed out in the early hours of the morning. My body was stiff when I woke up, the blankets pulled over me promising my surrogate mother tucked me in whilst the ticking of my watch warned I'd been allowed to sleep in 'till the afternoon. I only hoped my exhaustion made me miss out on half a day rather than a couple of them...

I held my head as I stumbled downstairs, hoping a shot of something strong would make me more alert--although, four pairs of eyes burning into my appearance seemed to have a similar effect. "What did I miss?" My gaze trailed over the group, heart-pumping harder with the sight of a blonde's eyes narrowed in scrutiny.

"Nothing, doll." Gloria smiled, dropping Rebekah's hand completely as she stood up and neared me. "Though, me and my uninvited guests are still working, so maybe it's best you enjoy a day out in town? It might help clear your head," I knew she wanted to be rid of me for my own protection, something I couldn't really protest considering Klaus was looking me up and down like he wanted to eat me.

"Sure," my lips tilted up into a reluctant smile, "It can't hurt to let myself breathe for a couple of hours." I leaned into her, a peck on her cheek being one of our more affectionate goodbyes. My hand wrapped around her forearm in a concerned squeeze, "You be careful, okay?"

Her lips twitched into her own small smile, "Back at you, sweet pea."

The boiling looks that followed my exit didn't really help build my confidence, though I suppose that shouldn't really be my biggest concern at the moment. All I needed was a distraction, something to cool my erratic thoughts...

I was a few blocks away from 'Gloria's Bar' when heeled boots fell in-step with my own combats, "Well if it isn't Mystic Falls biggest nuisance(!)"

"If I didn't know you were wary of me, I'd actually think you were flirting(!)"

She scoffed in slight disbelief, head still bewildered by my careless and cocky bravado. "So brave(!)"

"Or stupid," I offered a careless shrug, pausing our steps as I turned to her and cocked a hip. "Nice plan, by the way."

She raised a brow in faux confusion, "I don't know what you mea--"

"If Klaus wanted your head on a spike, then where's the best place for you to hide(?) Right under his nose," I tapped the side of my nose for emphasis, grinning at the vampire and grateful our second interaction held fewer threats. "I'd be more impressed if he wasn't so self-absorbed, his own ego and fear keeping you hidden in plain sight."

Her chuckle was more real, the doppelganger finally warming to me now she considered me a threat not easily squashed. "You know him just as well as you know me, don't you?"