19: Prison Break

https://i.gifer.com/6p6p.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

I grinned when the Salvatore's front door swung open, the sight of Damon and Elena's frozen figures just making me giddy. "Have you two been fucking(?)" I didn't think it was possible for the dead to blush, the sight of Elena's reddening cheeks only making me smile wider. I gave a low whistle, "Damn! I'm glad to see you didn't waste any time."

"Angel--"

"Relax, Gilbert." She paused, actually trying to take in my reaction. "I'm fine--see?" I honestly was. The sight of the two lovebirds finally making their start, even if it took a silly little sire bond to push them in the right direction, genuinely filled me with the same bubble of joy that occurred when Elena and Stefan first got together. I was happy that my friends were happy, and I hoped it came from the heart rather than residual exhilaration from staying up and talking with Klaus all night.

"Yeah," she smiled, taking in the authenticity of my excitement. "Did you know I'd be here?"

"Duh!" I bat my lashes, "But as happy as I am to see you--to see this, I can't goss on the drive to school as I actually need to borrow your boyfriend for the day."

A frown shattered both of their expressions, "Why, what do you need him for?"

"It's a surprise," I shrugged. "Damon's gonna hate it. Do you mind giving my sorry's to Ric so he can make up an excuse for me to be out for the day?"

"Uh, no--sure," she forced up a smile, "I'll see you later though, right?"

"Just text me and I'll come running," I assured, not missing the longing glance she slid Damon as she left. "Well, aren't you two just adorable(!)" I leaned against the doorway, watching him search a nook for his leather jacket and keys.

"Don't start," he whined.

"What?" I laughed, "Can't a girl be happy for her guy(?)" His eyes narrowed in a calculating look, forcing his arms through the worn leather. "Seriously," I dropped my teasing, lips tugging into a beaming smile, "I'm glad the pair of you finally stopped dancing around each other...you look happy..."

"You do too..." he noted, pausing in our exit of the Boarding House to fully assess me from head to toe. "Something you wanna tell me?"

"Maybe not yet," I sucked in a shaky breath, turning on my heel and heading toward my truck. "Today's not about me, Salvatore. Today's about threatening some people, saving others--" I glanced back when I reached the driver's side door, the distant rumble of a motorcycle signaling we didn't have long before Stefan tried to ruin his brother's perfect day. "So, get your ass in my truck before Saint Stefan fucks with all the fun I have planned."

He didn't even hesitate, the pair of us waving our goodbyes as we pulled out of the drive just in time for Steffie to park.

-TIME SKIP-