15: Inescapable Destiny

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6298a03de8672cbac6c13967fdbed2ae/tumblr_mxuaiqYxuP1rpad1lo1_500.gif.

A FEW DAYS LATER

A FEW DAYS LATER

Turns out Klaus' grand gesture was seeking out Elena and apologizing for all the bad he'd put in her life.

Of course the doppelganger was skeptical of the sudden change to his demeanor, refusing to leave the safety of her home in case it was all just a ruse to steal her away and drain her completely. She didn't accept the apology, the man before her had ruined her boyfriend and taken a sick glee in murdering both her and her mother only a few months ago. I was surprised when she said he understood her hatred, claiming how he wished he hadn't reacted the way he did, claiming how he wished a lot of people hadn't met the worst part of him when he came to town. Elena was genuinely convinced that he meant every word when he finished, the hybrid even promising that her link to him was officially severed--not as an attempt to gain her forgiveness, but simply because he could. There was no need to give him blood bags for his sires, no need to worry that he was looming over her shoulder, no need for him to see her ever again.

I was stunned by his actions, whether because of me or because of a change in himself, it actually made me a little sad that I would most likely never see him again. That I'd never get to know this new Klaus...

I decided on distracting myself to avoid the option of pining, successfully reaching out to Bree to track down a certain vampire; the sassy witch my best bet considering she seemed the most in tune with wandering supernaturals with nowhere solid to go. It didn't take long for her to reach back out, the correct contact details forwarded and taking me straight to my prize--

"Sage?" Finn spoke with awe, eyes widening with the fear that blinking would prove she was an illusion.

"Hello Finn," the redhead grinned.

He stumbled to his feet, the pair clinging to each other as desperately as a newborn to its carer. "What do you know(?) True love prevails..." Rebekah grumbled at my side, the love birds too focused on their reunion to register her bitterness.

"Although you look great in green, your jealousy is putting a bad taste in my mouth--"

"Angel," I was surprised they pulled away from each other long enough to address me. "Thank you," Sage breathed, eyes glittering with the threat of tears.

"How can I ever repay you?" Finn's eyes held nothing but gratitude, it forced a tidal wave of joy through my veins.

"Just try and be happy," I shrugged. "I know how much you hate being as you are. But if it's possible, then I hope spending eternity with the woman you love will ease some of the torment on your shoulders."

His lips pulled into a smile, honest delight curling around the man's features. "I owe you my life," the Original muttered, he and I being the only ones who knew how true that statement actually was.