6: Revenge

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DampElderlyBluemorphobutterfly-size_restricted.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

I'd opted for skipping the first day back to school, an emotionless Stefan honestly giving me a headache whenever I re-watched season three. My truck pulled up to the curb, the familiarity of the house feeling a lot more daunting than when I first sought out the owner. My nerves began to bubble all over again when I approached the porch, sucking in a shaky breath and offering the wooden door four firm knocks. The seconds of waiting felt like hours, my throat on the verge of closing up before the entrance finally swung open. Like Caroline, Sheila froze. I shuffled from side to side, the silence growing more strained and awkward with the longer her bewildered gaze burned into me. "Sheila, I--"

"You're actually alive..." My brows entered my hairline with her whisper, surprised news traveled so fast when all the chaos of Klaus and Stefan's return to Mystic Falls happened not even 24-hours ago. Then again, Bonnie was extremely close with her Grams before I left, so I suppose it only makes sense that she'd be the first person she'd go to after all the noise and fear from the night before. A soft smile prodded her cheeks, "I'm glad to see where you went didn't change you too much."

My brows furrowed, "What do you mean?"

Her hand reached out, eyes asking permission for our skin to graze so she could guide me inside. My hand trembled as I accepted, the witch's eyes lighting with understanding before she led me toward her sofa. A warm drink was placed in my grip, nerves pushing out the possible pain from the burn as I followed Sheila's movements, stomach twisting over what she might say... "Bonnie and I felt a change when you left town, but only when Elena shared Stefan's frantic ramblings did we fully understand what that change was."

My shoulders tensed with her reveal, "You felt me die?"

"Not specifically," she assured. "All we felt was a ripple in nature--spirits toying with life. We didn't know the extent of their actions, nor if it was actually malicious."

"Toying?"

Her face held regret over not being able to paint me a complete picture, "I suppose only the dead, or those who also exist in their own limbo could tell you the extent of what occurred. All Bonnie and I felt was a shift, and we knew you were somehow tied to it."

"How did you feel me connected to it?"

"The spike held your energy," my bewilderment didn't ease, "Each person gives off different energies. While some species clamor together, like vampires carrying heavy traces of death, certain individuals can be powerful enough to hold a unique one. That static Bonnie described to you when you first met?" I nod, "That was your energy. She just couldn't detect it because she was an unpracticed witch, she wasn't strong enough to."