12: Furry Playdate

https://33.media.tumblr.com/a3a5b724aba1102992146c381945d696/tumblr_ndeqitjO1h1soppaao1_500.gif.

A FEW DAYS LATER

A FEW DAYS LATER

It wasn't difficult to track down the room number that Care had text me. My body weaved through an overwhelming sea of patients and turned a corner just in time to meet her at the door, a cup of steaming liquid warming her cold skin. "How is he?"

She couldn't hold back a scoff at the question, "Honestly? He's pissed."

I frowned, "Pissed?"

"Turns out the new council member heals her patients with vampire blood," my mouth made an 'O' motion, mind completely forgetting about Meredith's entire plotline when Care called me to say that Ty had accidentally mauled her dad during their 'control' session. So far none of the deaths from Ric's evil alter ego had popped up, something I hoped to avoid completely now Esther was being left to stew in her afterlife for however many more years.

"She's got vamp donors?"

"No, she's bloodjacking them! According to Damon, at least." The blonde huffed, "And now she's healed my dad from bleeding to death and he's disgusted and freaking out because he hates vampires! I only just managed to convince him not to expose her practices to the Council, after Meredith spent half the night easing his threats to have her medical license revoked--"

"Hey," my arms clamped down on her shoulders, her short and stuttering breaths pausing to follow me-- "Breathe with me, okay? In and out..." She copied the action, panic diminishing from her baby blues... "In and out...In. Out...Good."

"Thanks," her shoulders sagged with relief.

"No worries. I don't know how hard it must be to hear what he has to say about who you are, but you've gotta know that you're a completely different mold from what he believes a vampire to be. You will be okay, Care. Just because he can't accept that doesn't mean it won't happen, okay?"

"Okay," she gave a shaky nod, forcing up a smile as her hand reached for the door handle. "I think he just needs one more check-over and then he can be signed out. You wanna come in?"

"I think I'll just wait for you both in the car," I declined. "I really just wanted to make sure you were doing good."

Her tension finally evaporated with a smile, "Thanks, Angel. I really appreciate it."

"Anytime, Forbes. Though, I suggest you guys don't dawdle. I've got a hot date tonight that I need at least three hours to prepare for." Her eyes lit up with queries, "Another time, blondie." I scolded, "Focus on daddy dearest today, you can probe me about my love life if I come home tonight."

"But--"

"See you in the car!" I offered a wave with my turn, knowing I'd just end up lying about meeting a guy and staying at his place rather than revealing the real reason I'd be indisposed would be because my body needed to warp into the shape of a wild creature to sate mother nature's needs. I chewed on my bottom lip when I reached my truck, resting against the side and huffing out a breath. I knew I'd have to tell the remaining gang about my monthly issue at some point, but amidst everything just promising to settle down, I just didn't think now was the right time. I'll tell them by the next full moon. Hopefully, that'll give everything time to--