23: Splitting Up

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/c7/7d/0cc77d0f3f1020b42529e0935b7b3fd7.gif.

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

My head was pounding when I woke up, supernatural abilities seemingly ineffective at healing the consequences of crying yourself to sleep, my body incapable of stopping myself after the dam finally broke. It was difficult to describe the relief of letting it all out, Bonnie and Damon seeming to join forces in comforting me as the vampire refused to leave my side until I'd passed out. I don't know when he left, nor if he and Bonnie actually spoke to one another when I was unconscious, exhaustion blacking out the world and giving me the best sleep I'd experienced in months.

I groaned, hand blindly searching for my phone and features wincing when I found the time 8:03 am screaming at me. My blinks were harsh, eyes searching the confined space to find Bonnie was already up and out. I pat her sleeping bag, the residual warmth confirming she hadn't been awake long, the Bennett witch most likely filling up on food for the remainder of our hike, or studying Connors tattoo with the belief she could obtain a spell from it. My bones popped as I stretched, shrugging into more climate-appropriate clothes and almost falling out of the tent during the struggle. I huffed when I finished, tugging on the zipped exit and joining the dysfunctional group I'd forced together for this trip.

-TIME SKIP-

"So..." Shane released a breath, eyes wide with wonder as we all stared down into the never-ending pit that hid Stefan's doppelganger. "Who wants to go down first?"

"What do you say, Angel(?)" Damon turned to me with a Cheshire like grin, "How about one last ride before this is all over(?)"

I rolled my eyes at his suggestive tone, trying my hardest to ignore the slight growl that escaped Klaus' corner. "As 'exciting' as that sounds, I think the priority would be to get Connor and Bonnie down there." I turned toward said Bennett, "Think you can stomach being that close to him(?)"

"It's for the greater good, isn't it(?)" Damon's eyes rolled with the upward quirk of the witch's lips, not willing to endure any more banter as he gripped her waist and vanished in a blur.

When the raven-haired vampire reappeared, he paused to raise a questioning brow in Klaus' direction. "You gonna make yourself useful(?)"

The hybrid's eyes narrowed, "I'm the reason we're here aren't I--?"

"Letting the hunter loose and finding a sword that Shane's memory rendered useless isn't exactly something worth bragging about. So, you gonna put our killing machine in the hole or continue making heart eyes that Angel's oblivious to(?)" My eyes widened with Damon's words, an attempt to turn toward Klaus and actually assess his expression disturbed by the Original blurring through the Earth's crack, our hunter caged between his arms.

My glance at Damon showed the vampire smirking, "I thought we were trying not to antagonize the temperamental Hybrid(?)"

"Ah, ah, ah--I promised not to antagonize Shane anymore," the human gulped as Damon took a step closer to him, "You said nothing about fueling the tagalongs' jealousy."