Chapter I, Dawson

I'm sitting in math the first time I see Amelia. She is lead into the classroom by the Principal, he whispers something to my teacher and then turns to the class. "This is Amelia Holden, I hope you make her feel welcome." 

Amelia is beautiful, her hair is fiery, her skin is pale and her eyes. I turn away so that no one sees my mouth drop open. Her eyes are clear, like there is no colour. I have never seen a more beautiful girl.

Amelia gives us a small smile, "Before you sit down, why don't you tell us a little about yourself." Amelia freezes for half a second. 

"Um, okay." She says and then thinks for a moment. "I'm Amelia Katarina Holden, I live with my Mother and little sister Ashlynn Katherine. I grew up in Finland and moved a lot, now we live here." I drag my eyes off Amelia and turn away.

I hold my breath for most of the class, I can't help but sneak glances at her throughout the class. When the bell rings I stand up and watch for a moment as Amelia stands up. She checks her schedule and I walk up beside her.

"Do you want me to show you to your next class?" I ask, thankfully my voice sounds normal. Amelia's clear eyes look at me, "Sure," She says. I smile and ask. "What class do you have next?" Amelia looks at her schedule. "English, Mr.Walsh." She says. 

I gesture for her to follow me. Amelia follows me from the room, "So you grew up in Finland?" I ask. Amelia looks away and doesn't answer. I guess she's a little shy or something. 

"I'm Dawson." I say. Amelia looks at me for a moment, "Why won't you talk to me?" I ask. She smiles slightly, "No one usually listens to me when I talk." I smile, "I'll listen." I say. Amelia rolls her eyes, "You say that now, but you will change your mind." That's when I see it. Amelia has never had anyone to confide in, she's never had friends. I think Amelia has never had anyone but her mother and sister, maybe not even them.

"I won't, if you give me a chance to prove it." I grab Amelia's arm. "Give me a chance." Amelia rips her arm away from me, not before I feel a fiery pain shoot through my hand where she had been touching. I stare at her, I swear that her eyes flashed with fire. Like literal fire in her eyes.

"What?" I gasp. I stare at Amelia, "What happened?" She asks. "You-I-" I stop. "Nothing." Amelia turns away. "Which classroom is it?" She asks. "That one." I point to the door. Amelia swings around and marches through the door.

I sigh and turn away.

I walk up the steps of the bus, I look to the seat I always sit in and then sit down. My best friend Alex unfortunately moved to a different part of town and is no longer on my bus so now I sit alone.

I sigh and sit down, I play games on my phone for a while and then I realize someone is sitting down in the seat in front of me. I look up and stare at the fiery red hair of Amelia Katarina Holden. I smile to myself, she looks sad. I frown and look out the window. 

I climb off the bus and glance back at the window where Amelia is sitting, I want to wave at her but I turn around and walk up my drive way. I am embarrassed to see that my mother stands smirking in the front step. I sigh and stare at her.

"So that red head is new?" She asks. I shrug, "Yeah." Her smirks widens and I feel my face start to heat up. My mom rolls her eyes, "Come on, what's her name?" She asks. I sigh, "Amelia." My mom thinks about it, "Mrs. Amelia Martin." She says, "I like it." My mouth drops open.

"Mom!" I yell. "She doesn't even like me!" My mom stops smirking and just stares, "She doesn't like you?" I sigh, "That is what I said." Mom puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Dawson," She says. "You're a great guy, you have to  change her mind." I sigh. "How?" I ask. Mom sighs.

"Isn't it obvious?" She asks. I shake my head. She sighs exasperatedly, "Boys." She mutters. "Mom." I say and she gives a little jump. "Right sorry." She says.

"Dawson, you have to win her heart."