Chapter 2

"Why don't I walk you home?"

That was the one thing that caught my attention about 15 minutes ago. It wounded up him walking me home.

"Well Steve, thank you for walking me home." I said at my door. He smiled and nodded.

"Of course. Couldn't let anything bad happen to a pretty dame." I raised an eyebrow. "I mean....um your very beautiful. It's not like you aren't a dame or-" I kissed him cheek.

"Good night Steve." I unlocked my door and walked in. I moved to the window to watch him walk down the steps and disappear from sight.

The next evening, I quickly walked into the United States Armed Services Recruitment Station at the World Fair.

"Hello, Dr. Erskine." I greeted the man once I saw him. He looked at me.

"Good evening, Rae. Are you ready to start?" He asked. I sighed.

"Oh yes because looking at men brings me great pleasure." My voice held sarcasm. He gave me a look. I took the files out of his hands and started walking. He started walking beside me and I looked up and saw Steve a little ways away from us.

"What about him?" I pointed Steve out to Dr. Erskine. He looked at Steve.

"Well he has to enlist first." He answered. I shook my head when he went to go talk to someone. A man in an uniform walked up to Steve and I listened in on the conversation.

"Come on. You're kind of missing the point of a double date. We're taking the girls dancing." The man said to Steve.

"You go ahead. I'll catch up with you." Steve told him. The man's face hardened.

"You're really going to do this again?"

"Well it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck." Steve answered the man's question. Try his luck?

"As who, Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you." The man argued with him. How many times as Steve enlisted?

"Look, I know you don't think I can do this." Steve reminded the man.

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war." The man argued, his face still hard. A hand was placed on my back and I looked to see Dr. Erskine.

"I know it's a war." Steve agreed with him.

"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs."

"Why do you want me to do? Collect scrap metal in my little red wagon?" Steve joked.

"Yes, why not?" I shook my head at the man.

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky. Bucky, come on. There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me." Steve explained to the man called Bucky.

"Right. 'Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky said to him.

"Hey, Sarge! Are we going dancing?!" A woman yelled out. Bucky turned to the two women.

"Yes, we are." He answered them and turned back to Steve and started to walk back.

"Don't do anything stupid until I get back." Bucky ordered Steve.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." I laughed slightly at Steve's comment. Bucky walked back to him.

"You're a punk." He hugged him.

"Jerk. Be careful." Steve told him. Bucky started to walk away. "Don't win the war till I get there!"

Bucky turns back to Steve and salutes him. He walked to the girls.

"Come on, girls. They're playing our song." I turned to Dr. Erskine.

"Let's go get our little guy." I told him. Steve walked past us but didn't notice me.

"Alright." He agreed. We walked back and I talked to the nurse. She talked to the doctor and they both walked out of the room. An officer went in and then Dr. Erskine and I followed.

"Thank you." Dr. Erskine said. Steve looked up from the chair he was sitting in and noticed me. "So, you want to go overseas. Kill some Nazis."

"Excuse me?" Steve asked confused.

"Dr. Abraham Erskine. I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve and this is Agent Rae Donovan." He introduced us. Steve's eyes filled with hurt that I kind of lied about my job as a nurse but it didn't matter.

"Steve Rogers. Where are you from?" He asked about Dr. Erskine's accent. It was German but it didn't matter also.

"Queens. 73rd Street and Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. This troubles you?" He questioned Steve.

"No." He answered.

"Where are you from, Mr. Rogers? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities." I asked. Steve's face turned a little scared.

"That might not be the right file."

"No, it's the right file, Mr. Rogers." I told him. I was being a little mean but you don't win wars with niceness.

"It's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries. But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?" The doctor asked again. Steve looked from me to the doctor then back to me.

"Is this a test?"

"Yes, Mr. Rogers." I stated. He didn't even think about what he said next.

"I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from." He answered.

"Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is a little guy." Dr. Erskine told him. I picked up Steve's file and opened the curtain. "I can offer you a chance."

I walked to the desk as I heard Steve quickly walk with Dr. Erskine.

"Only a chance."

"I'll take it." Steve hurriedly took it. I picked up the stamp and looked at him.

"Good. So where is the little guy from? Actually?" He asked Steve, once more.

"Brooklyn." Steve answered. I stamped his file and Dr. Erskine took it from me. He then handed it to Steve.

"Congratulations, soldier." Dr. Erskine walked away and Steve looked at his file then at me.

"See you soon, Mr. Rogers." I told him before walking away. I could feel his eyes on my back as I did so.