|| I was the one all along ||

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - F O U R
_______________________

After that, he didn't stay. He uncurled my fingers from his waist slowly and meticulously and he pushed me away from me in the nicest way possible. It was like pushing your dog away from your lap or your nephew from hugging you.

I remember him mumble something that sounded like I better go before turning around and walking out the door. I guess I should be grateful for him to go away like this, because it will give me more time to heal my wounds but it feels like if he has just created another one.

I know what it's like when people choose to leave you. After a day, it's pure pain and you can't think about anything else, after a week your chest still hurts but you slowly begin to realize that no matter how much you think about it, the person won't come back and after a while you stop wondering about that person and it's like of they never existed. As if it happened to someone else and you start to shrug the fact that you might have just missed something that could have been magic. But that's okay.

A part of me still act like if he's just gone for a minute. Like if he'll come back tonight and ask me about my day and tell me to loose that constant frown of mine. The truth is that I haven't heard from him it's been three weeks and each night, it hurts a little more.

He isn't working at the Starbucks anymore and do not come to the university.

Graham is avoiding me a bit too, but he doesn't know that I do not blame him. After all, he did try to warn me, I just decided to ignore him.

I get out of my car and go directly to the cafeteria, joining Jewels at our usual table. She gets up the moment she sees me but follows my lead as I sit down.

"Grace! Oh my god." She exclaims, taking my hands in hers. "I heard about what happened. He's such a jerk, he doesn't deserve you."

I shake my head as I free my hands from her tight grip.

"Don't say things about what you don't understand." I tell her in what I know is a harsh voice, but I can't help myself from getting frustrated at her lack of knowledge about the situation.

Still, that shut her up for a little period of time and allow me to take out my stuff from my bag.

"I'm sorry." Jewels suddenly speaks up. "I just wanted to make you feel a bit better and that's what girls usually say to each other about boys."

And just like that, I feel like the biggest asshole on the planet. I sigh as I rub my forehead. I try to find a way to treat her a bit nicer, but let's just say that being sweet isn't my forte.

"It's fine." I mumble.

There's a long silence that follows which, oddly, makes me feel uncomfortable. Jewels doesn't stay silent. Jewels doesn't even know what silence, but here she is, keeping her mouth shut and staring at me with sympathetic eyes.

"He truly loves you, you know that right?" She suddenly says and it makes me want to cry. Talking about him is the last thing that I want to do right now. How crazy is that? How one boy can turn your world upside down.

"And how would you know that?" I ask, looking up at her in a challenging manner. "Did he told you himself?"

"Not with his mouth, but with the way he looks at you, the way he talks about you and the way he takes care of you." She replies gently, ignoring my hostility. "You know, it's like a novel, at some point you'll always find a main character to your story. The fact that your the main character to Logan's story isn't hard to see."

I think about it for a moment, then do what surprises Jewels and myself. I lean over to hug her. Not the kind of long hugs that girls usually do to each other, but a tiny hug that doesn't last more than two seconds. However, it has a lot more meaning to it too and I can tell that Jewels felt it because she smiles at me brightly and gets back to her work.