||Sometimes life gives you diamonds||

C H A P T E R T H R E E

______________________

I shut the door of my car, exhausted. I've been searching all day for a job, but ended up nowhere. Sure, I've saved some money before and ...

And he left me his, but no way am I going to use it. It just doesn't feel right.

So I have to suck it up and go to work... If I ever find a job, that is. I never thought that finding a job will be so difficult, but it is.

I park right in front of the Starbucks. After this bad day, I really need my dose of caffeine to go on. I see Graham behind the counter. As always, it's not very crowded, but that's because most of the people who lives around here are either elders who prefer traditional tea or partiers who prefer beer. Which only leaves us, young and calm students to feed the Starbucks with customers. However, I recently saw a lot of teenagers moving near here, which is a pretty good thing.

Graham don't even wait for me to give my command. He, by now, knows my spring usual. I pay him, as he gives me my change in silence. For some reasons, he seems mad at me. I don't know why, but I don't really care. I plug my headphones in my ear, listening to We The Kings as Logan makes my drink.

He places my green tea frappuccino on the counter and waves his hand in front of my eyes. I look up at him. He takes a lollipop out of under his apron and gives it to me, his face neutral. I take it, staring at him.

"You alright?" He asks. His voice doesn't sound worried, just curious. "You look a little tired." He explains.

"I've been looking for a job." I simply say, trying not to sound too desperate. I don't want him to think that I'm already ready to give up after one day, even if I am a bit contemplating that option.

"I see." He leans his arms on the counter, a strand of his hair falling in front of his eyes. He doesn't bother replacing it, still staring at me. "Well, it's your lucky day, we were about to hang the "hiring" sign on the door."

I frown, looking around me.

"You don't look like you need help." I point out. I really need this job, but I don't want to owe him anything and I feel uncomfortable accepting help from him. Working here, will also mean often seeing Graham and I don't exactly think that I'll enjoy that.

Logan raises his eyebrows. "Well, we recently have a lot more customers, plus summer's coming." I don't answer, causing him to sigh and hand me two pieces of paper, stapled together. "Just fill this out." He says, handing me a blue pen.

I take it reluctantly and sit down at a table, filling out the form. I then hand it back to him and walk out of the shop, sighing in relief. It is maybe not my ideal job, but I just don't have the motivation to go searching anymore. Even the thought of being stuck with Graham doesn't feel that bad right now.

The worst thing about driving home now, is the fact that I know that there won't be anyone waiting for me there. I'm all on my own now.

Even now, I still sometimes vaguely hear his voice beside me while I drive, singing along to some Led Zeppelin's song. I gulp, trying to concentrate on the road. I can't seem to get his voice out of my head. A deep voice keep singing Thank You in a high pitched voice, completely off beat. I exhale, trying to contain my tears.

He's gone, get over it.

I swerve to the right, stopping abruptly my car.

I've never done anything to deserve this. All I ever wanted was to live my life. I never disturbed anyone, I never drank, I never had fun. All I wanted was to go through the day without any incident, but then destiny decided to land a bomb the size of the freaking earth in my life.