Chapter 48

c h a p t e r      f o r t y    e i g h t

1999, October 15
New York

THIRD PERSON'S POV

"Baby, out. Another one, on the way."

Just after the first baby was out, the other came right after. Louise was exhausted as tears fell from her drowsy eyes. Rainer was waiting outside. His heart beats like it's about to burst as his assumptions were eating his consciousness. He couldn't think of anything at that moment because Louise was suffering. They were married a month ago upon Red's order which he was very sorry for Louise. Despite Ruine loves Louise and knowing that Louise loved him back, Rainer develop feelings for her too. He liked her before Ruine did, or so he thought. When he found out that they were dating secretly, he stopped himself from liking her and tried not to be bothered. But he got jealous not knowing that Red was also observing him.

As soon as they told him to come in, he rushed in and look for his wife. "Louise, goodness...are you okay?" he said as he held his wife's hand. She nodded. They let the baby crawl to her mother and sheburst in tears. The first time Rainer saw the babies, he felt his heart sank. He never felt that way before, the urge to protect them at all cost. If he was honest to himself, he never like the fact that it was Ruine's bastards. But now, as he saw the two little babies, he couldn't bring himself to hate them.

2019, December
Rio de Janeiro

RAIN'S POV

Everything's so confusing. How did I end up from fighting my so called enemies to finding out my true identity? All my life I've never questioned my identity, and I had always believed that what I know about my family was the truth until this day. Had I believed in lies? Everything that doesn't make sense are starting to build this whole puzzle. This conversation is no doubt, the most horrible event that happened to me. But why do I feel like I felt better? Is it wrong to feel this way when my father, Rainer, was not my real father.

"Stop lying," I tried to argue. This is going too far. Stone is my enemy...and he's my father. A voice inside my head tells me that over and over again. If he was truly who he claims to be, what would that make me? A fool who's entire existence was a lie? Why? If he was really my father, why did he left us? Why did I never knew about him? And why did Dad never told us about this? What the hell happened?

I raised the gun I was holding. For the first time, I felt like thorns were pulled slightly but never out because my real father is right here. Yet, a hundred more needles plunge into it as longing and undefined questions as to why he left us and what happened to him and to our mom, crept within me. I am lost in words. His brows furrowed like he didn't expect it.

"You didn't know Red has two bastards?" I saw a hint of dismay from his face and from the way he sighed. "What happened?" I asked him. He looked right into my eyes and though he seem to be a stranger to me, his eyes felt like I knew about him for a long time. "I..."

"Your father and I...we were...twins."

"Skip that part. What happened? Why have I not know anything about you?"

"I should be the one asking you that. Did they really think I was dead after putting me on a very dangerous mission and was chased by the freaking FBI?"

"What mission?"

He was hesitant for a moment. What could've really happened? I need to know. "There's this yakuza group, the Inagawa-kai."