Chapter 25

c h a p t e r      t w e n t y   f i v e

RAIN'S POV

Pagkatapak na pagkatapak namin sa malawak na open area, sumalubong sa amin ang walong kataong nakasuot ng pulang tela at lahat sila ay parepareho. They are the 8 Shadows.

Sabay kami ng kasama ko na ginawa ang hand gesture. Moving our hands like the yin and yang with right hand starting up, and left down, in a clockwise position. Then afterwards, clap facing upward. The arms should be straight horizontal, chest area.

Then flip it downwards. Then hands forming like a force and a little bit like sideward C pushed to front. Then the main point is the right hand forming into a fist leaving two fingers standing, index and middle finger, closed together, above the left hand which forms into a little cup or upward C pointed halway to the wrist.

If you can't understand, then just skip that part. Basta hand gesture. It is the the greeting sign of every member of the Scott family. If you understand, might as well try to do it.

After we did that, the 8 Shadows also did it. And afterwards, we all bow to each other. It's a sign of respect. I took a step towards them and they all looked pleased.

"Niánqīng de jìjié guòqùle. Shàngtiān yīdìng yǐjīng tīng wánliǎo wǒmen de qídǎo." (The seasons have passed young lady. The heavens must've heard our prayers.)

"Shùlín huāle nǐ tài duō shíjiān cáinéng wánchéng." (The woods took you too long to finish.) The other person said.

"Liúxuè shìjiàn bù yìng zài zhège dìfāng fāshēng." (Bloodshed shouldn't run in this place.) I said.

"Jǐnguǎn wǒmen xiǎng yǔ nín jiāotán, dàn yǒurén bù nàifán de děngzhe nín." (As much as we wanted to talk to you, someone is impatiently waiting for you.)

Inakyat ko ang hagdan papunta sa malaking gate. Kung tutuusin parang temple ang lugar na ito. As the gate opened, the smell of dumplings embrace me.

He never changed. Not far from where I am, stood a man in his luxury black silk traditional clothes, white beard, and a reflecting hazel eyes. I bowed when he walked towards me.

"Rain Louise," I said. Sandaling katahimikan ang bumalot sa buong lugar. Maririnig lamang ang huni ng hangin at tubig na dumadaloy sa talon sa dakong silangan. And then, I heard him laughed and so I lift my head up.

"Old man." Lumapit ako sa kaniya at niyakap siya. It's been so long.

Pumasok kami sa loob kung saan nakahanda ang napakaraming pagkain na mga ba't ibang putahe. Naupo ako sa kaliwang banda ng mesa. Bakit? Dahil apo ako. Ang anak niya ang maaari lamang umupo sa kaniyang kanan. Sumunod namang pumasok ang mga Shadows pati na si Pin. Pangalawang beses palang makikita ni Pin ang Grand Master ng Liu Family.

Ibig sabihin, makikita lang ng isang tao ang mga ito kung mapagkakatiwalaan na sila. "Ràng wǒmen bǎocān yī dùn." (Let us feast in this bounty.) We lifted our drinks and enjoyed the food.

I'm not a Chinese. I just learned how to speak because of my father. He thought us to speak many languages so we won't be sold. I remembered how grandpa used to tell us stories on how he fell in love with our grandmother. He would always say that she was the most beautiful woman he has ever met besides mother. He loved it when she watch him cook, when she sings by the lake, when she frowns every time she's suspicious of something. He loved it when one side of her lips curl when she concetrates enough. All those cringy moments which I found cute when I was young, seemed to still have the same effect until now.

My grandma died when I was 7 due to overworking. But, she gave me her most valuable possession, her katana. It was hers. It's the name she was called when she was alive, was engraved on the blade of my sword with its crest.

夜女王 (Yè nǚwáng)  which means Night Queen. It symbolizes the flower that blooms at night. It is scientifically called epiphyllum oxypetalum and goes by many names such as Dutchman's pipe cactus, the queen of the night, night-blooming cereus and tan hua. It is very rare to see its flower bloom. Watching it bloom is considered a sacred experience by many including India.

There's a very deep meaning of that name for my grandma, which I think also happened and is happening to me. Other than that, my grandma's mother gifted her that tan hua which makes it more sentimental. My grandpa said that grandma wanted me to have that name and continue to be the Queen in this family. Its flower is the Scott's family crest. I have the crest tattooed on my back, at the center of my backbone, between my shoulders. Also, she gave me the ring.

This place was built when my grandma was dying. It was her dream. They lived in New York before with their kid. "Has he told you?" Nagtaka naman ako sa biglang sinabi niya.

"He came here last winter," he explained. I don't know if I'll felt betrayed or what but I don't think I have those. First of all, I rarely see him too.

"Nobody told me," I said bluntly. It was never a surprise if he showed up without my notice. He does everything he wants. "You better ask him," he said. I sense a mischievous feeling from what he just said. I don't think this should be taken lightly.

What happened last winter? Why didn't they tell me? Is there something I need to know? "Your grandmother would be proud," he said. There's something strange. Why do I feel like there's something wrong?

The cause of her death is one reason why I had to do things I had to do and to answer all of these questions, buried the night of New Year's Eve, about the things that happened five years ago. I knew that what was written on those papers were not the real cause. I'm getting there. And I will.  But now, I don't know why this strange feeling feels like it's pushing me back.

Ako lang ba o sadyang dumami ang mga tao ngayon? Everything is set. I can see from a five-meter range, eyes were like shooting daggers at me. Tss. Well, guess what, I don't care.

The whole room was packed. She walked towards me with her eyes painted with dark tone eyeshadow, kept on shooting glares at me. "You know, you could use some advice," she siad, proudly but I can sense that she's irritated. She leaned to reach my ear and said, "You can still chicken out if you're that afraid."

I scoff by what she just said. I've never heard such a pathetic whisper in my entire life. She really thought I'd chicken out? Not a chance, honey. Not a chance.

She looked at me while grinning from ear to ear. "Speak for yourself," I said bluntly. I told her many times not to mess with the wrong person. If this is B.A.N.G. she wouldn't be here today because she was long gone the they she'll met me. Everyone here at the backstage froze upon hearing me roasting this vixen. "You're going down beyotch."

This school is insane. How the heck that a simple ballet competition is a freaking news to these people Literally, the entire university is going to watch this stupid match. I only practiced once since I left the mansion earlier this morning. Everyone was yelling. Strange. I'm getting the damn vibe from the underground battles.

"Miss Louise. Miss Reyes. The University President has sent his presents. Three of the Eligibles," sambit ng isa sa mga University representatives. I can hear people murmuring.

Who am I kidding? Ofcourse he'd knew. And I know one person who keeps the info moving. "They'll be the judge for todays competition," she added. Seriously, do they have to go that far? That old man's really a pain in the ass.

"Are you ready?" I nodded. "Okay. Let's get movin'." She went first. She played the Sleeping Beauty. I can see from her movements that she had prepared for this. It is effin' evident with those people dancing with her like her backup dancers. Whatever. I don't care.

Someone tap me in the back and I rolled my eyes mentally, and literally. What is it again this time?

***
The Night Queen
by jrhabellie