Chapter 35

c h a p t e r     t h i r t y    f i v e

2002, Winter
New York City

The lady's scream echoed in the all four walls of the room. She's bathed in sweat, gritting her teeth and felt like she was being cut in half.  It was her first normal delivery and she's struggling with it.

"A little more Mrs. Scott," the surgeon said and worked on getting the baby out safely. Outside the operating room was a tall man in his suit and behind him were three other men, who look like they could beat someone up. His a fine man and his stance may be firm but deep inside, he was utterly anxious. Walking back and forth, his mind seemed in a turmoil.

Soon, they heard a cry and one of the nurses went up to him to ask if he was the father and told him to come inside if he wants to see the baby. He immediately rushed inside, but was stopped halfway because he has to wear protective gear as to not contaminate the area and the baby, itself. He saw his wife, he was devastated.

He didn't went straight to the baby but to his wife. He kissed her dearly on her forehead as she fell asleep.

She was transferred in a VIP room and beside him was her husband, holding her hand. Suddenly, the door swung open and the visitors rushed to him. "Hey," he said softly as he kissed them on their forehead. "How is mommy?" said the little boy. He looked over to his wife then back to them and smiled. "She's okay. She's sleeping so we need to be quiet, alright?" They nodded.

"Do you want to see your younger brother?" Their faces seemed to lit up as they heard about it. They were excited as they pulled him out of the room and to the ICU.

2019, December
Philippines, 11:45 a.m.

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Nanatiling tahimik si Ace habang pinagmamasdan ang dalaga. Samu't-saring katanungan ang gumagambala sa kaniyang isipan. Tila hindi niya malaman ang kasagutan sa pinakamahirap na tanong, sino ba talaga si Rain?

"I'm sure you already read the post on our university page. Tomorrow's the official start of the university fest and I hope you signed up for at least two activities because that will serve as your attendance, and well, it could also be additional points so take it seriously," ani ng propesor. Tila nabuhayan naman ang halos lahat sa klase maliban sa tatlo, si Rain na walang pakialam at si Lance at Ace na nakatitig sa kaniya. Nagkatinginan ang dalawa at parehong seryoso ang mga ito.

Hindi nagtagal natapos ang klase, agad na lumabas si Rain. Nakarating siya sa parking lot at pakiramdam niya may nakamasid sa kaniya. Ilang sandali pa ay nakasunod si Ace. "Louise..."

Lumingon ang dalaga ngunit walang mababakas na emosyon sa kniyang mukha. Nagdadalawang isip ang binata kung itutuloy niya bang tanungin ang mga tanong na kanina pa gumugulo sa isip niya. "What?" tanong ng dalaga ngunit hindi nakasagot ang binata kaya naman sumakay n ito sa sasakyan niya at nagdrive paalis.

RAIN'S POV

He's here. I knew it. How could there be something like that if it wasn't him, if it wasn't his. The University festival will begin tomorrow and I'm not really into surprises. Not at the moment. I'm on my way to my house when I saw Lance at the front gate. Anong ginagawa niya dito?

"If you have nothing to say, I'd prefer you leave the premises," I said and walked pass him. Yet, he caught my arm and walked to my front and strangely stare at me which is seriously making me uncomfortable.

"I'm glad you're back," he said, almost whispering. I don't have any idea why he's acting like that. There was a brief moment of silence. "Do you want to bet?" What in the world is he thinking? He suddenly came to my house, saying b*llsh*t, and now challenging me in a bet. Has he lost his mind?