Chapter 16

c h a p t e r     s i x t e e n

RAIN'S POV

2019, October
Philippines, 10:15 a.m.

It went dead silent. I couldn't brought myself to speak another word because I would look so defensive and I don't really like to talk when I'm in the middle of my meal. On the second thought, I'm not a very patient human being so I didn't wait for any of his response and went back to munching.

"Is it really that hard to make friends with you?" I almost choked when he suddenly said that. Why on earth would he think of that? The last time I check, he's not being friendly but rude. He posted my whole face everywhere. But what in the world did he just said? Has Earth lost it's gravity?

"You totally lost it," I murmured while shaking my head slowly. He must've gone nuts. Did somethung hit him when he's out? I don't even know. He was still looking at me like I was impossible to understand which I am, fortunately. "Quit staring and just eat," I said. Seconds after, he took two long strides to get to my side and sat down.

"I'm taking this as a yes." I don't know if I should just hit him right down below or knock the daylights out of him. The way he said it like I agreed to some sort of his terms and that I never did. Did he forgot how he made fun of me?

Hindi ko pinagtuunan ng pansin kung ano man ang sinasabi niya. Ang iniisip ko lang ay kung paano makaalis sa radar niya at sana hindi ko na siya makasalubong kahit kailan pero napakaimposible talaga dahil kaklase ko nga siya. Kung pwede lang magshift ginawa ko na.

Saktong bumukas iyong pinto at huminto doon ang nagbabantay. "This is not the cafeteria," she scolded. "You'll be cleaning the entire school after class, remember that. Now, go." Binuhat ko ang bag ko at nauna nang lumabas.

Hindi nakasunod ang mokong dahil sa bilis ng lakad ko. Mabuti naman. I was on my way to the rooftop when I passed by two people talking and the other person looks familiar.

They both looked me for suddenly appearing out of nowhere. Nagpabalik balik ang tingin noong babae sa akin at sa kausap niya. "Do you know her?" she asked him. And, just then, he looked away. "She's the new girl," he said which I know he's pertaining to me.

"Oh, that's why you look so familiar. The posters," she uttered, sounding like I wasn't the person who she's refering to. What? Anyways, I don't know her and I don't think I need to know her. The way she dress up, a mint colored elbow bishop sleeves which lightens more of her pale skin and a gray pencil cut skirt with a shiny black pumps, she doesn't looked like a student. She's definitely not a student.

"I'm Ki Riverdale, Scott University's Vice President." As she uttered those words, I'm a bit taken aback. She's the provost. I have a lot of questions to ask regarding how this school is being managed. To be honest, this school got poor etiquette and management. I shouldn't care about something like this but if they tolerate their students every now and then, I don't think the word prestigue suits it.

"May I ask something?" I directly told her without minding her brother. What? Did you think I didn't notice? Seriously? I could tell just by looking at them. "Sure," she looked surprised by my sudden question and she didn't hide it though. She even smiled confidently. I just hope what I'm about to say won't ruin that.

"Are you sure this is a school and not a playground for all sorts of stupidity?" Hindi naman sa nagmamagaling pero ayokong magsinungaling. Some students were following the rules to be able to study well however there are some who always makes trouble and I knew some people.

Just as I thought, her face went from smiling to being in state of shock, I guess. Even that Lance guy was looking at me like I did something weird. Maybe, I shouldn't have said that and let this poor thing go. Let the world know how things went at this school. If you think I'm about to sabotage my father's founded school, you still don't know me.

She was lost in words for a minute or two and then she trued to compose herself and smile once again. Does she knew how awkward her smile is right now? Can someone please tell her?

"I've never been confronted by a student before, what's your name again?" she paused to ask me and I answered confidently, "Rain." And then she burst into laughter which I find so weird. She's one of them. She's gone crazy, too.

"I have never laughed like that for years," she said in between her breath. She's an absolute lunatic. "I like you girl," she added. She, then, finally comoosed her self once again. "I'm happy that a student finally get to speak up." Wait what?what does she mean by that? Is she waiting for someone to speak up? Like hell waiting?

In the most colorful language, what the f- is that? Does that mean she didn't do anything to atlease keep everything under control unless a person showed up and confronts her face to face? Is that what she want? Is that what she meant?

"You see, I have managed the school well. But that was before this guy right here, with his folks, enrolled in this school and everything was chaos." She pointed a finger at the guy who was obviously bored listening to our conversation. Why don't he just leave then?

"Ace might be a bully but he knew when to stop. And besides, I can't kick a student who's high profiled and got real brains, not to mention the looks. The school was flooded with more students and that's great. Although we still have to ensure that students who enter this university has potential nd are hardworking," she explained.

She was about to speak one more word when he grabbed my wrist and dragged me out of there. She was even yelling at him for being disrespectful while someone's talking but he didn't care at all.

"Okay. You need to let go now." He suddenly stopped after we get away from his sister and loosen his grip on my wrist. There's really something wrong in their blood. They've both gone crazy.

Walang nagsita sa amin kaya naman napag-isipan kong umalis nalang pero hahakbang palang sana ako nang magsalita siya. "Your arm, how is it?" Was it just me? Did I heard him talk? I've never seen him talk before, or atleast I think. He talked. He doesn't looked like the person who speaks more than a word. What is he up to?

***

The Night Queen
by jrhabellie