Chapter 16: The Battle

(Emma's POV)
Murky black liquid wrapped itself around Merlin. Then, me. Then, Killian. It sent us down into the vault- where the battle would take place. We walked through the rubble, and stone walls, approaching the cauldron. I grabbed the dagger and placed it over the magic that layed untapped inside the pot, which quickly wrapped itself around the dagger, pulling it from my hands.

The room suddenly became silent, then wind picked up and swirled around the room as if we were in a twister. "I lied to you!" Merlin shouted over the wind.

"What!?" We demanded.

"The darkness wasn't born... I created it." Merlin admitted, it wasn't supposed to end up like this. All I wanted was to have more magic, better magic, and be the most powerful. I understand it wasn't right, and now I'm going to fix it." He explained.

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" Killian demanded. Clearly unhappy with Merlin.

"Because I knew you wouldn't do this if you knew." Merlin said.

"Knew what?" I asked.

"In order to defeat the darkness you must kill it's source, the one who created it- me." He said.

Suddenly, Merlin cast out a river of bright twinkling magic with both hands, shooting it into the cauldron. The darkness from the dagger seeped out, entangling itself into Merlin's magic, climbing up it, and towards Merlin. It wrapped itself around him, suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my chest, and darkness spewed out of my heart. The darkness from me also attacked Merlin. He stumbled back from the intensity of the magic. He dropped to the floor shaking, and seizing.

The magic just kept pushing at his heart coming from both me and the cauldron for what seemed like hours.

Finally, with one last giant bolt the magic completely emptied itself into Merlin and he dropped to the ground. The room went completely still, until I let out a shaky sigh dropping to the ground, tears streaming down my face. "The darkness. It's gone." I said smiling. I ran over to Killian, placing his hand over my heart, and kissing him like never before, with so much passion and happiness that it overwhelmed us both, and I pulled away.

"We're safe at last, together, and happy."

"As long as you're here, Love I'm happy. But, I'm so relieved you are safe and sound, my Swan."

I walked over to Merlin who was still just barely alive . "Emma.." He croaked, I immediately leaned down to hear what he was saying. "You are the new sorcerer." He told me, I couldn't speak for a moment, left shocked, and confused.

"What does that mean?"

"You must protect the world from the darkness." He coughed and heaved and I could tell he was on the verge of death. "But don't worry you are not alone, you must appoint an apprentice to take over, just like mine was supposed to..." His lungs faltered, and his eyes glazed over.

Realization hit me, I checked for a pulse. I don't find one. "He died for us." I said, silently thanking him. I Walked over to the cauldron looking at the dagger that once ruined my life, it was blank, now just a small- normal- silver blade. I attached to my belt, and we left the vault.

Finally free.

***

What did you think? Were you expecting that? Who do you think will be Emma's apprentice?

This book is getting close to the end and I couldn't be more thankful  to those who are reading it, I have never written anything before this and your reactions mad it all worth it.

Love you guys!