Chapter 9: Acts of Courage Acts of Sacrifice

(Regina's POV)

I sighed in frustration, I had been trying to find a way to make a portal relentlessly. It had been taking a toll on me, all the dead ends were making me weary. The lack of magic beans here was not helping. But, that wasn't what was making it so hard to focus; Robin Hood was.  He was the source of the spinning mind. He had moved into the Mayor's Plantation, which had brought me to cloud nine. Which, I was finding to be extremely hard to escape from.

I tossed, and turned and when I finally fell asleep I remembered.

I looked down at the floor, the front of my hoop skirt sparkled in the light of the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The crown I wore in my curled, dark hair weighted my head, along with my giant diamond earrings, and necklace. As pretty as the riches were, they meant nothing to me.

"What's this?" My mother asked, gesturing to the portal Rumplestiltskin gave me. I turned to look at her, her navy gown looked darker compared to the pink silk that was wrapped around the gift.

"I don't know, a gift?" I said, not revealing the truth.

"Maybe, it's a portrait?" Mother guessed, unveiling the mirror with her magic. The pristine glass had a golden border, and it matched the lavish items around me. "Aww, a looking glass." She cooed stepping towards the portal. "Not nearly as personal, I wonder sometimes. If the people really love you?" She admitted, turning to face me again.

"I'm doing my best mother." I said, with a pained expression.

"Aww, honey I'm sorry." She said. "Come here." She  took my hands, and led me to the mirror. "Look at you, with your whole life ahead of you. And, it's going to be better than you can imagine." She stepped in front of me, our skirts brushing as she passed. "The King's not a strong man, the Kingdom will be yours. Raise the tributes, form a personal guard, let everyone know where the new power lies. And, you will hold the hearts of your people in your hands."

"Is that what you would do Mother?" I asked.

"That's exactly what I would do."

"Well the thing is: I don't want to be you." I said. I turned, arms spread, ready to push her into the mirror. When, she stopped me with her magic, a blue cloud of her evil surrounded my hands, and waist, making it impossible to move. I struggled against it.

"What are you doing?" She asked. "You think it's that easy to get rid of me, you're stuck with me forever darling. Because, Im your mother, and I know best." She said. I saw Rumple in the mirror motioning for me to push her. I used my rage to break free of her magic, with my own, and sent her flying with an angry yell. She held on the the edge of the mirror for as long as she could before falling through. The mirror then shattered, and I covered my head with my gloved hand. I looked down at my hands, covered in silk, looking harmless and dainty. Yet, my hands had somehow managed to summon magic, and evil, and send my Mother away.

"That's it!" I woke up, with a start. I quickly got up, careful not to wake Robin, and grabbed my Mother's book, flipping through it frantically, and near the end I found it: the enchantment needed to make the looking glass.

***

Sorry this is REALLY short, but I just got back from vacation. More chapters are coming soon! Thank you for sticking with this book it means alot!