Chapter 14: What Could've Been Home

*prepare for fluff and feels*

(Emma's POV)

We had been traveling non-stop for almost a week. To say 'my legs are sore' would be the understatement of the year; sitting atop a horse, your thighs against the tough leather of a saddle for  several hours a day was exhausting. We had stayed the night in a clearing in the woods, next to a fire we had made, my head on Killian's shoulder.

When I woke up the next morning, Killian was stroking my hair "Good morning, Love." He said, as I opened my heavy eyelids. Sleeping in Killian's arms was definitely helping with the nightmares that came with being the Dark One.

"Five more minutes..." I slurred, my voice still heavy with weariness. I buried my face deeper into his chest.

All of the sudden, I was being lifted off the ground. I gasped in surprise as Killian threw me over his shoulders. "Sorry, Swan but I have a surprise, so we have to get moving." He placed me atop my horse and then tied it to his; before climbing up. I fell into an uncomfortable sleep in the saddle.

Before I knew it, Killian was gently shaking me awake. "Come on, Sleepyhead." I opened my eyes to find my self still on the horse, but our surroundings had changed. We were in a bustling town in front of a large castle.

"Where are we?" I wondered aloud.

"Your parents Kingdom. Welcome home, Swan." He said with a smile as he lifted me from the saddle. He gave his signature smirk. "Surprise." He whispered as he pulled me in for a kiss. I willingly pressed my lips to his, our movements in sync with each other's. His hands were wrapped tightly around my waist, and mine were wrapped around his neck; each of us trying to get closer to the other.

When we broke apart someone approached me. A person dressed finely in bright robes who looked as if he was trying to see me more clearly. When he came closer he immediately dropped to the ground, his mouth giving a surprised gasp. I leaned over to whisper in Killian's ear. "What's he doing?" I asked, obviously confused.

Before I could answer the man gave a nervous reply. "Princess Emma?" He gasped, and stuttered on the words.

"How did you know who I am?" I questioned.

"If your Highness would indulge me, I would like to show you." He said, rising from his bow with a hopeful look. He led us into the castle with ease, obviously knowing his way around the area. We arrived at the gate quickly. The large doors swung open to admit us.  He led us into a hallway that had a multitude of paintings in it. "These are my works of art." He gestured to the paintings on the wall near the end of the hall.

The wall closest to us had a long row of old family portraits; the paintings were of each generation of the royals one painting for each ancestor and their spouse, ending at my parents. The painting of my parents was beautiful, my mother was in a purple corseted gown, and my father in a fine vest, and leather pants; my mother's hair was long which surprised me, compared to her usual pixie cut. "You look so much like them." Killian said with a smile, I noticed that lately he had been smiling rather than smirking. I liked when he smiled it showed a sincere side of him that I liked to think was only for me.

The painter- Thomas he said his name was- guided us to the wall. "This," his heavily accented voice explained. "Is a wall of your family." He pointed to a portrait of my parents: my mom had flowers in her hair and was leaning on my dad's shoulder. "This is when they were expecting you." He explained, then he pointed to one of my dad dancing with someone, I looked closer to discover the someone was me.