Ch.35: A Step Into The Future {End}

Start from the beginning

God, I hate when he does that.

"Sorry. Force of habit." He sent me an apologetic look.

"What? Blowing smoke at people's faces?" Jacob smirked while Chief Ross just shrugged.

"Go home, you two." And that was what he last said before he turned his back towards us and started walking to a bunch of police officers.

"So, you want to get something to eat, Holmes?" Jacob turned to me, and I politely shook my head.

"Sorry, Christian is probably back from the hospital right now. He said that he would finish work early today," I said.

"Ah, can't keep the husband waiting, Holmes?" he said with a smile, and I rolled my eyes and smacked him on his arm. He only threw his head back and laughed.

"You shouldn't be saying stuff like that while you have Lucy," I scolded.

"I know that. I'm just messing with you, Holmes. Besides, Lucy is the best thing that has ever happened to me. There's no way I'm going to hit on other women, especially married ones with two kids." He smiled as we retreated towards my car.

No one ever thought that Jacob would end up falling for Lucy, including my friends and me. For nine years, he had been completely ignoring her. But during that time, he had actually fallen for her but was too much of an idiot to admit it.

He always treated her like crap, despise her useless efforts of trying to make him fall for her. She and I grew so fond of each other that we became close friends. And she told me everything that had happened between her and Jacob, and every time she spoke about him, it broke my heart because he had no idea how much she loved him.

One day, she just got sick of following him around and finally gave up on him. Then, she started seeing other men, and when Jacob heard that, he totally flipped out. I still remember that day when he saw her and some guy at the bar, and that guy was harassing Lucy, so Jacob quickly went up to him and punched him.

Then, he just grabbed Lucy by the hand and dragged her out of the bar. I don't know what happened after that, but ever since that day, they have been together for five years.

The sound of my phone ringing cut me out of my train of thought, so I stopped walking, and so did Jacob, who glanced at me while I searched through my purse for my phone. I picked it out and looked at the caller ID, and I instantly smiled.

It was Joey. He must be back from Paris.

I hit the answer button and quickly raised the phone to my ear, excited to hear my best friend's voice, who has been gone for three months now. "Hi, Joey!" I practically squealed, making Jacob let out a small laugh.

I heard a giggle coming from the other line. "It's Joseph now, Holmes. Joey is too childish for me," he said, faking the serious tone while I just rolled my eyes, knowing that he couldn't see me. It's just that ever since he became a Curatorial Assistant to one of London's most notable up-and-coming Art Curators, he insists on calling him Joseph, but as always we just ignored him.

"Oh, please, you are as childish as ever." I laughed. It was true, he never changed, and he was still the annoying, lovable Joey that I had known for fourteen years. The only thing that changed about him is that he traveled a lot, given his job with his boss/boyfriend, Leon.

Although his boyfriend is uptight and reserved, the exact opposite of Joey, he is very kind and admirable.

"How was the exhibit?" I asked, biting my lip. I heard a groan coming from Joey, sounding like he was irritated or something.

"Horrible. It's like people have no idea what art is anymore. Seriously, it's like the artist picked something out of the trash and decided to make a painting out of it. Honestly, sometimes modern art sucks!" he practically shouted in my ear.