Ch.23: The Ugly Truth.

"A boyfriend!? Ariana Holmes, who, when, and how on earth did you get a boyfriend!?" my uncle's loud words rang through my ear. Obviously, since we were on the phone, I couldn't tell what kind of expression he was making. But I did not mistake the disbelief in his tone.

Honestly, it's not that shocking...okay fine, maybe it is. To tell the truth, I was and still am pretty shocked.

I sighed, rubbing my forehead, for this was one of the most embarrassing things I had to do. My face was burning with embarrassment, for I had no idea how to tell my uncle that I had a boyfriend now. I was so nervous to tell him this through the phone and out of the blue.

"His name is Christian. He's one of the special kids. You met him before, Uncle. We're going on a date today after school." My voice was so low that I thought my uncle couldn't hear me right. I could barely speak when I told Joey and the others about Christian and me, who were dumbfounded to learn I ever had feelings for him. Joey was the only one who cheered.

"Oh, you mean the dark-haired, tattoed guy who saved you from the fire? Yeah, I know him," he said.

I was about to say something when a voice from the other line cut me off. "I knew it!" I heard Jessie shout in joy.

"Are you on the speakerphone?"

Jessie apparently grabbed the phone before my uncle could explain. "I totally knew that boy Christian liked you. Ever since I saw him at the shop, he was staring all the time."

Her words made me smile while I blushed. Has Christian been staring at me? That's sweet to know. I guess I'm not the only one who stares.

"Hey, how come you didn't tell me?" my uncle said to Jessie.

"I wasn't very sure at the time."

"So, anyway, you guys, I just wanted to let you know about this." I sighed, glancing at the clock. I should hang up before I get to school late.

"To tell you the truth, sweetie, I'm pretty surprised you got a boyfriend. I never thought you were interested in that," my uncle admitted.

"I know."

"I mean, I always thought that you were a lesbian."

"Uncle! I'm not a lesbian!" I rolled my eyes while his laughter filled my ears.

Huffing in frustration, I turned around, wanting to get out of the room. But I froze in my spot when I saw Christian at the doorway, leaning on the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest. His lips tugged in amusement, and my eyes widened when I realized that he probably heard the lesbian part.

Ugh! Why do I always have to embarrass myself like that?

How long was he standing there?

"Lesbian?" He mouthed, eyebrow raised. I ignored his question and got back to the phone, somehow finding it hard to take my eyes off him.

"So, Uncle, listen. I have got to go to school now. Talk to you later?" I said, getting ready to hang up.

"Aria, wait. Actually, you do know that I am happy for you. But you also know that I am very concerned. What if that guy was using you?" he asked, his voice holding that concerned and father-like tone.

"There's nothing to worry about, Uncle." I smiled, even though he couldn't really see me.

My uncle was about to say something when suddenly Christian walked towards me and took the phone from my hand.

"What are you doing?" I hissed at him, but he ignored me by giving me his back. He brought the phone to his ear, making my heart jump. What the hell is he doing? I hope he isn't planning on doing something reckless.