Ch.31: Captured

Even though the halls were dark and quiet, I could hear the sound of my heartbeat echoing in my head until it was the only thing I could listen to in this silent darkness. Also, the sound of both my footsteps and Lena's as she led me forward with her gun attached to my side and her hand gripping my arm so tightly that I'm sure she made a bruise.

For a small girl, she's pretty tough.

I have agreed to come with her, leaving Samuel on the ground with his leg bleeding. I honestly hope he managed to call for help before it was too late.

Right now, my hands wouldn't stop trembling in fear no matter how many times I have tried to calm myself. The thought of Christian being harmed just kept appearing on my mind, and I couldn't shake it away.

I just hope that they didn't hurt him in any way. As worried as I was about him, I also wanted to slap him for being stupid enough for following me to the greenhouse. But, I was also to blame for telling him even though I knew that it was a bad idea.

But I didn't regret going to the greenhouse because I needed to remember all these memories. I just regret telling Christian about it. If he hadn't known, this wouldn't have happened.

At least, even if Black knew that I would be going to the greenhouse, he would have kidnapped me, and Christian would still be safe back at the organization.

"Lucky for us that your boyfriend managed to follow you. He was an easy catch. Both of you are pretty dumb, to be honest. But I guess that we can continue with our plan now," said Lena.

I didn't say anything. I stared at her devious smile, thinking how someone so young could hold such venom in their heart? I guess this girl was as sick as her father.

She faltered in her steps as her smile vanished, and she stopped walking. I still kept my mouth sealed as I saw her bend her head so low that I couldn't see her face properly, thanks to the dimming darkness of the hallway.

Neither she nor I said something. Why did she stop? And why was she lowering her head so I won't see her face?

"I bet you regret saving me from the fire, don't you." I can tell from her voice that she wasn't really asking me a question, but she was instead stating a fact.

Her voice was low, and there was some emotion in it that I didn't understand. She sounded disappointed. Though Lena's betrayal hurt, I didn't regret saving her from the fire. Her life wasn't mine to ignore.

"No, I don't," I truthfully stated, making her lift her head to look at me. She didn't do a good job of hiding the shock from her face.

"What..."

"You have indeed done a lot of shitty things, hurt my friends, and manipulated them. However, I don't regret saving you from the fire. Unlike you, I don't take lives. Even if I knew who you really were, I would still save you. The only thing I regret is wanting to be friends with you."

By the time I was finished, she was looking at me like she couldn't believe my words. It reminded me of when I told her that she was my friend back at the hospital and how strangely she reacted to that word as if it was alien to her.

She quickly shook her head and closed her eyes for a second before silently leading me through the halls again. From the corner of my eye, I could still see her staring at the ground as we walked and shaking her head several times like she was thinking of something.

Did I say something wrong?

"Here we are," I heard Lena announce, noticing that we had stopped in front of a black metal door. I saw her pick out a golden key from her pocket while still keeping the tip of her weapon rested near my ribs.